Hi everyone!

You could stagger your grow and fill up both tents with autos. Time the dropping of the beans and have a perpetual grow. It’s like fill the blank but with weed!

• But then again, I may just be a greedy pothead always wanting more while ignoring limitations
3 Likes

Well now that you have that awesome 3x3 tray, you could switch over to doing SOG grows in it from clone, and be ready to repopulate the tray with new clones when you harvest, so you could get 3-5 harvests a year.

3 Likes

He’s using autos in his grow, so he’d have to switch over to photos. Either way, we both suggest a SOG grow to maximize output.

4 Likes

Welcome @tazard. Grow your knowledge every day by visiting this forum.

4 Likes

I have a 50 gallon tote with 5gal buckets set inside. The buckets hold nutrient solution and the 50gal tote holds plain water. I removed the cold side condenser from a small dehumidifier and placed it so the humidifier sits next to the tote and then the condenser hangs over the edge of the tote and is partly submerged in the plain water (eliminates the need for titanium since the nutrient should not contact the condenser). I have a submersible pump that pushes the water around in the tote.

I use a gravity feed from the buckets to my 5 gal plant totes which have a submersible pump located about 4” above the bottom. The pump has higher capacity than the gravity feed and maintains my water level in the plant tote. There is only 1.5-2gal of nutrient solution in the tote but I’ve never had a problem with needing more root area and as you can see on GrowDiaries.com I’ve grown some 5.5’ tall monsters.

This is 56” tall:

5 Likes

I’m a little confused. The buckets inside the 50 gallon tote are individual reservoirs for the plants? I think that’s what I’m seeing and reading just wanted to clarify.

5 Likes

I have 5 total buckets in the totes (veg, transition, flower, late flower and flush). Two hoses connect each plant tote to the appropriate nutrient bucket (except veg which is all connected in series to reduce the number of hoses). Flow is as described previously. I have a temperature controller connected to the dehumidifier (chiller) that I set for 64F with a 0.5F offset so the dehumidifier (chiller) is activated at 64.5F. The temperature probe is in whichever nutrient bucket has the largest thermal load, I also manually check to ensure that the other (cooler) nutrient buckets don’t fall below 58F (usually 63 is the coldest).

Obvious limitations are

1. I feed all plants the same nutrient levels for each phase.
  2. As nutrient levels fall the buckets float up.
  3. The thermal load that each bucket can handle is limited (maximum plants per bucket/ambient temperature).
  4. If a pump malfunctions the plant totes can overflow.
  5. Rearranging plants requires removing/reconnecting 3 hoses (airline, two nutrient lines) and an electrical cord (return pump) per plant. Although this one isn’t avoidable with a chilled DWC system.

I’ve plans for a reservoir that would hold 7 full size 5 gallon buckets. This would give me some flexibility to run multiple strength nutrient solutions. It would also let me distribute the thermal load. I would also have the ability to prevent the buckets from floating as they empty.

However, the alternative was a single titanium chiller per plant. I couldn’t begin to afford that kind of upfront expense.

5 Likes

Seems like a solid setup. Very good way to cool all and be able to have plants in different stages. I thought about splitting my bigger setup in half just for that reason.

4 Likes

Im.not using autos in my grow 4 fem amhurst sour diesel and 1 pineapple chunk

3 Likes

4 Likes

No idea what a SOG is I only got the tray to give the plants about 8 inches more top room so they drain in the pan and I shop vac it out rather then empty the 5 gallon buckets they were sitting on

2 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

SOG stands for Sea Of Green. Typically a bunch of smaller plants with very short veg time so that each plant just has one main cola.

2 Likes

Ahhh ok lol this is my first grow so I’m still trying to understand things but yes I have that I used a trellis and folded them over but I’m looking to get more then 1 cola I topped them a few weeks before I switched to bloom went on vacation and they shot up to 5 feet added the trellis and now the tops have snaked about another foot thru the trellis

3 Likes

4 Likes