Homemade carbon filter question

Can i use the charcoal thats in my fireplace instead of activated charcoal? probably stupid question but my plants started smelling amd i dont have money haha

4 Likes

Hello. You might be able to use the carbon sheets for dehumidifiers like layer it 5 tines and put it inside the exhaust tube. Not sure on your setup.

2 Likes

Get on eBay buy rolls of charcoal filter cloth for air purifiers and range hoods to keep Odors out and is 16”x48” like $8-$9. I use it on all my air hoods and intakes. Looks like to be around 1/4” thick…Made home made scrubbers using 11 Merv Hepa filter along with 1st stage 5 Merv regular pleated filter and and that cloth over the one end of blowers with total of 16 Merv. Commercial growers use 8 Merv so I’m over kill. Operating rooms use 16…Some also now are using UV-C air filtration as well. That’s easy to make too… :grimacing:

3 Likes

@chrisj

Broken reply link

1 Like

It was tagged as a question for voting. That’s why no reply, just “answer.” I removed the tag.

1 Like

@jessi23 you can make your own activated charcoal.Google it you will see… When I first started growing people stuck charcoal in bags around there room to suck up some smell. In High Times,there were places used to sell those hanging bags…Personally I don’t care about the smell my grows surrounded by corn and bean fields and away from the house. @hoppiefrog or @zeus curious is anyone’s old enough to recall those bags :thinking:

3 Likes

I have seen them jammed in ventilation but never seen one for sale that I recall, but have seen lots of carbon in bulk for sale.i have refilled one of my filters and used a mini tamper with a piece welded to a rod to ramp down it blew out the spot welds but still works.its heavier than the original carbon tho

3 Likes

Wish I still had a big floor saw or chop saw I’d cut one of those scrubbers up I have just to see what’s inside…

3 Likes

It’s just a CPL mesh tubes to hold the carbon ,but tamped down tight.

2 Likes

Yeah I saw a pic last night of one cut up lol I have some but took off all my air hoods put carbon filter crap over the blowers one end to keep any dust and crap out of lights.Cuts to much air flow. Do scrub the air and one in veg room. Not big on them personally. Take um out as targets when I shoot next time maybe…
Regarding smell everything is exhausted outside it’s always so windy where my grow is never smell it outside really, maybe the deer and coyotes do :thinking: I have 2 ducts lines (4 lights) at the moment keeping buildings warm and smells in there but not worried about the smell like maybe others would. Out in the country surrounded by corn fields and beans.
23F out (-5 C for Canadians lol)…

1 Like

Activating carbon increases the surface area and allows it to hold more impurity’s.

The stuff from your fire place would probably not work for you

If you are looking for a way to make cheap carbon filters there are many ways to go about it.

You can buy activated carbon on amazon or (My recommendation) call a local water guy and ask for a cubic foot of 12 by 40 activated coco carbon $60 - $200 depending on how much they like you and this will make many many filters…(you can get half a cube too)

Here is a link to the type of carbon you need and a design for a simple filter housing anyone can make…

This can be used in either direction… drawing air or exhausting it.

Hope this helps.

If you need any help let me know and ill walk you threw it.

0_o

1 Like

Yes you can. If you crush your fireplace charcoal into a fine powder, you can activate it yourself.

Then you can empty the old one and refill it.

1 Like

i did that exactly however my fan wasnt strong enough so i gave up

1 Like

What do you mean your fan was not strong enough? It would not push air thru the repack? If that is the case, then you may have over-filled it and left no space for the air to move thru it.

i have this viparspectra 300 that id like to grow something with but its way too loud. is there a way to hack it or make it quiet someother way?

1 Like

What’s making the noise? Is it a driver or a fan?

theres one big fan on top

If the fan isn’t loose then it’s probably just naturally noisy and the only fix is to find a similar size fan with a lower db rating.

1 Like