How big is too big to clone?

I have two GSC plants. One is MUCH taller than the other, and I’d like to maintain an even canopy in the tent. (the other two plants in the tent are on the smaller size.)

Can I chop and “clone” the top portion to even out the canopy height? Or is it too big and thick at this point? (It got that way because early on I snapped a growth tip on the other side, and so one side just took off while the other healed)

2 Likes

Put something under it?

Sorry, I don’t understand what you’re sayin

Yes u can clone that top. In fact, toppings make great clones, altho u can take them from anywhere. Some growers prefer older branches, and some go for the newer growth.

As far as size goes, if ur clone is really big u will trim it down. Remove all the lower leaves and popcorn. U only want a few leaves on top. Misting these leaves is how u will keep it alive until it forms roots.
But just as leaves can absorb water, they also lose water by transpiration. ( Someone pls correct me if transpiration is the wrong word. Looks weird).

So if u have a ton of foliage on a clone . .2 things …

1. thats too much to expect the poor little guy to maintain when it has no roots.

2. More leaves :arrow_right:more area to transpire/ lose water.
    If ur top 3 or 4 leaves are big/mature, usually a grower will trim those leaves down in half.

@happilyretired Happy?? Anything to add??
Hes the one who taught me to clone.

6 Likes

@inkfromblood I’m sorry about that. I meant to ask if elevating it off of the floor to even out your canopy. It isn’t pretty but …

2 Likes

Ahh that makes sense.
then, I’d be having to raise up three other plants to match the height of just one, and that would be a lot of wasted space. Besides, with cloning, that just means more bud.

2 Likes

Yep, chop that buggah and clone it. I think @pptrsha1 and @PreyBird1 and @happilyretired are your cloning experts. Almost missed you Hap!

3 Likes

If it were me I would cut it off at the red mark. Then I would make four clones cutting at the blue mark. That’s just what I would do if your purpose is to make a giant clone, I’ve never tried it never had a reason. It would take a long time to grow a root structure large enough to support a large top, i’m just guessing on that. But I think it’s a correct assumption.

9 Likes

Ha! Thank you!
That makes so much sense and seems so obvious now that you say it. That was exactly where I was going to chop, but its good to know the larger clone would take much longer to root, and that makes sense too since it would have so much growth to try to support without a root structure to start.

5 Likes

Even if you cut that plant off there it will still probably outperform the other one. At this point it has a much better route structure so that’s just the way it’s going to be. The seeds are no different than your seed. Some might be tall some might be short some might be fat some might be skinny. Moving onto the clones. if you root those clones and give them a week or two in a pot to get established throw them right into flower with the rest. They will surprise you. Think about it this way auto flowers usually only get about two weeks to veg, you will get similar results with a two week veg on Photos. Just the stems usually aren’t as strong as the autos. So they might need a little support. Anyways looking good. Good luck with your clones. :+1:t3::+1:t3::wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for the info. That was going to be my plan, was to create some clones and just flower them in a solo cup and see what happens!

4 Likes

Finding out I could buy weed seeds overseas. . .cool
Finding friends to trade seeds with. . . exciting
Learning how to clone. . .
PRICELESS
@happilyretired

6 Likes