How do you store your seeds?

Just curious, I’d like to know a bit more about storing seeds and preserving genetics. What is the best way, how long can seeds be stored, …

6 Likes

I store mine in a refrigerator and if they are over a year old I store them in the freezer. I have actually grown great looking plants that sprouted from 18 year old seeds. I also use light proof containers.

9 Likes

I have a bowl in my closet for shit that’s usually in my pockets, like keys, knives, flower, id tags, lighters, passport, shit like that. There are a bunch of seeds in there too. Each in the respective packaging they arrived in. @PreyBird1 by far has sent me the most secure of seeds being bagged, tagged, and canned. More relevant and important information, my closet is dark, and house is always between 72° - 78°

7 Likes

I would be interested how @PreyBird1 and other breeders store their seeds.

7 Likes

Dark zero light airtight container and refrigerated. Im just not a fan of freezing. Because they have to be vacuum sealed. And when there used, dont thaw them out. Germinate them immediately. But ideal humidity 8-10% i always used lttle brown glass jars and keep them in cases that are air/light tight at around 45 degrees.

12 Likes

Thanks for the insight! @PreyBird1 @nacho151 @Skinnyhb !

7 Likes

Fridge here also. After a couple years keeping in the dark at room temp and having problems I invested in a dedicated mini.

8 Likes

i have 2 1 gallon freezer bags in my veggie crisper in my fridge full of different genetics. i went a little nuts ordering beans every year for a long time. Some are beans made by friends and myself too. I’ve popped beans stored that way for 10 years - not all pop mind you.works pretty well. plastic baggies inside the freezer bags in a shoe box

7 Likes

I have mine in small jars in a shoe box in my office, havent research the subject or heard of fridge method, but now may consider, I havent had any issues though, I’ve been using this method of storage and all that with no problems

I may consider getting my bank in the refrigerator though, or start one in both places and using both methods

Will show results only over a long period of time lol though, so I won’t have no updates anytime soon, maybe five or ten years from now to test the method properly then check back in

Peace y’all

SS

6 Likes

Black, tightvac container, in the fridge. Don’t really know any of the science. I think I followed Preybird’s advice on this this. Before I bought the containers I used jars in light proof mylar bags, in the fridge.

6 Likes

FWIW… Found this article. Seems complete.

6 Likes

here’s an added note: I just dropped 3 beans of Reservoir’s Chemdog F2’s that are at least 12 years old into moist dirt. All 3 popped within 3 days

11 Likes

That’s the wa to go I have on ice seeds from the 80s
Humboldt.

6 Likes

Refrigerator unit

4 Likes

Not refrigerated, but tightly sealed in airtight containers stored in a large gunsafe. Absolutely no light gets in there. Should that be suitable @PreyBird1 ?

4 Likes

Thats a bare minimum. It will work.

4 Likes