How important is air movement?

We often hear growers talking about the importance of air movement in our gardens. Why is it so important? Let’s discuss:

Stagnant air is dangerous: When your garden sits with no air, a few bad things can happen. Molds and mildew spores are much more prone to find a favorable place to pop up when the air is still. Air movement actually acts as a preventative measure against these crop killing spores.
Stagnant air gets hot: that equipment and those lights are all adding to the heat in your room. The easiest and cheapest way to help handle the heat is to add fans
Stagnant air is humid: when that air just hangs around the room with no movement, the natural transpiration processes within the plant actually add humidity to our rooms, which can lead to problems with molds and mildew
Air movement helps with CO2: All that air movement in the room actually drags CO2 over the leaves of the plant. The CO2 helps with photosynthesis, leading to bigger plants and bigger harvests

How much air movement is too much? When we add fans and set the speed to high, we can actually harm our plants. We are always trying to find a balance in our grow rooms. If you have too much air movement, we can actually break tissue and leave the plant with a “burned” appearance. Be careful that the plants are “dancing” and not “leaning” from the air movement. If your crops look lkike they have a gangster lean going on, you probably have too much air movement.

9 Likes

One thing I am always working on in flower is keeping distance between the colas so that air can flow between them to try and better my chances of it filling out top to bottom otherwise I wind up with a tent full of “tops” and the rest down below being larf.

8 Likes

Right on just set up a second 8x4 sho I now run one for veg one for flower 2 tent perpetual grow so far so good just having issues getting the air exchange tuned in

4 Likes

Got good air movement inside just running in the exhaust

4 Likes

7 Likes

Transplant tomorrow woohoo so happy to be actively upgrading the set up

4 Likes

Got the ducting in exhaust is up passive intake took way more than I thought it would transplant tomorrow hahahahaha yup I’m lazy after that shit show lol

4 Likes

Looking great @deusoboy420

Cheers

Packee

5 Likes

Thank you really trying to get things perfect and its definitely paying off

5 Likes

Agreed. Practice and lots of questions, have always helped me

Keep it up you’re doing quite alright imo

Cheers

Packee

5 Likes

This is a prime example of the importance of air movement. Sometime over the last two days my fan burned out and I had no air in my SoG room. So this happened.

I spent the last few hours with this

Keep them babies dancing.

5 Likes

Got it all done all set up and transplanted in the new veg tent thank god and with the new exhaust fans both of my tents are back to optimal temps and rh gotta love when everything comes together

3 Likes

6 Likes