How quickly do LED lights degrade?

I have two of these fixtures in my 4x4x8 tent, I bought them in August of '22 and they have been running continuously except, maybe, one week or so.
The tent currently has a Chocolope and two Blueberry Muffins. One of the Muffins is nearly to the roof of the tent so the fixture above that plant is raised to its max and the plant is nearly touching it.
The other fixture is lowered to about 18" above the other Muffin and the Chocolope because they are not nearly as tall.
These plants have been in flower now going on their 10th week and the flower buds on the two Muffins are simply not as large as I think they should be. @PreyBird1 agreed.
I bought these lights because they were inexpensive at the time (I think they were on sale for $70 each). I am a newbie and hobbiest and cannot afford the super nice LED fixtures I see others on this forum using.
Could the underdeveloped flowers be a result of my lights being degraded and failing?

5 Likes

Hmm all o can seem to find on these is it says 5 year warranty most come with a 50k hr lifespan for led lights some are at 49k hrs. Don’t seem to be that bad of a light tho either. I have a few enfun boards here that were supposed to have uva chips will they have the chips but the chips do not light up for the uva part all else works fine tho. They seem to run pretty hot but they did do a great job on growing a plant out. Just warm as hell they were. Lol. Same light coyote Cody works but he had meanwell drivers mine were mofo brand

4 Likes

I couldn’t find a PAR chart for that light, but looking at the spectrum chart for that light it is designed for vegetative stage. Find a full spectrum light with a dimmer and detachable driver that you can afford and it should improve flower production.

6 Likes

@nacho151 Do you have any you can recommend?

5 Likes

What size is your tent?

3 Likes

Damn i knew it. That lights for vegging only! I even use them in VEG never ever in flower. Not like you knew this either. Those lights are crap for flowering anything out. That right there just ruined the whole grow and completely and totally make sense why you have hardly any smells and the buds look scraggely. None of this is the plants fault its that tou didnt know. And i know you dont have money right no. Damn if you were closer id give you new light. But i dont know how long youd be at your place. Hows the job hunt going?

5 Likes

It is a 4x4x8 Vivosun with a 6" exhaust fan.

5 Likes

Well, your explanation clears everything up. I guess I have wasted precious money on nutrients and electricity. I didn’t know a single thing about what equipment I should get when I bought those lights. Should I just trash those plants?

Job hunt is horrible. I have a few months to get something going. I will scrape together whatever I have to do to stay here. But you’re correct, there is no way I can buy anything now.

5 Likes

And so everyone else here is completely clear on the light subject…“THIS IS WHAT BLURBLE LIGHTS FLOWER LIKE.” And veg leds are not suitable for flower stages. A fun fact is trichromes also develop as a natural sun block for plants. Thats what i read in high times in the 90’s when i started growing. And the brighter the lights the more sunblock the plant makes.

a key role for cannabis growing in difficult climatic conditions. A layer of resin offers wild weed protection against damaging winds from the desert sirocco to the Siberian blizzard.

Trichomes even serve as organic sun block for marijuana plants, protecting them from the effects of UV rays from the sun. We shall explore the relationship between UV and trichomes a little further below.

Read this link about trichomes.

I like royal queen seeds also. But there website is a treasure trove of information.

I was reading high times and working in a nursery growing my first pot ever lol

Some growers here might remember these guys lol.

8 Likes

I used the 1000 watt version for 3 years, this one should work good for you unless you want a high end light, if you get this one add supplemental side lights. It doesn’t have a dimmer or detachable driver, but it should last for a few years. Mine are stilling working good after 4 years. If you use this type light, don’t try to grow, sativa, indica, or autos in the same tent. Remember sativa’s get taller than indica’s and auto’s have different light requirements compared to sativa’s and indica strains.

5 Likes

Well you understand par a bit better and probably utilized the light better but that light looks like a black dog led knock off. And its max output still sucks.

I have these 2 lights from Budgetled ive used for years. There awesome. And im using it in my breeding tent now with the Alaskan thunderfuck preservation run.

5 Likes

I like these hlg lights. There pretty low cost. I have 4 of them now and im going to assembke thim into a 4 light set up. I can make one for around $400 with a dimmer.

4 Likes

I guess it makes no sense continuing with these lights; wasting seeds, nutrients and electricity on pointless growing.
I cannot buy anything, so I don’t know what to do with these plants as is.
2024 is beginning wonderfully here.

6 Likes

If you didnt need a $150 driver these are what id use. I have there three pack of led lights now and there awesome but they stopped making the kit but you can still buy the boards and heat sinks and make some nice lights

4 Likes

Hey not much you can do but use what you have. The weed will be Mediocre but its still weed. And your still learning either way. So dont take it negatively man you have to learn either way. Ive wasted sooo much money on equipment my man. Dont feel too bad.

6 Likes

If the buds have trichomes it’s not a waste. Keep them for the harvest, because any weed with trichomes is better than alfalfa!

3 Likes

If you were closer id give you some lights. The lowest cost light i can make is about $300 but maybe we can help you later when you situation stabalizes a bit?

5 Likes

I sincerely appreciate it. Basically, I have just really needed some positivity, some good luck, in my life instead of what I’ve had the past three years. And this thing just adds to it, and being the first day of the year adds more darkness to it for me.
I realize that incorrect lights probably seem not a big deal to everyone.

4 Likes

The thing about growing cannabis is you constantly have to learn and do research to get better grows.I couldn’t figure out why my grows weren’t very good until I started learning about how lights and ventilation effect the plant. I started with burples and had a little success, then added sidelights and started getting better results. I usually tell new growers to learn from my mistakes, cause I can make a lot of mistakes. I try a lot of new things after doing months of research about what I think might improve the grows before I spend a lot of money on it. My current grow, I spent almost a year researching hydro before I attempted it, this time. My 1st attempt doing hydro was 5 years ago and it was a disaster. I also learned not to pack tents with plants because to many plants in a tent starve other plants in the tent fighting for the light they need to get to produce good buds.

5 Likes

@ArtVandalay my last grow was good and I learned a lot I had a bunch of seeds but now I know better that was my first grow I don’t think I had enough light it was enough to grow but not flower them

4 Likes