How to train my mothers

So these girls are about 6 weeks old in the 5L pots.
They’re borderline root bound and wondering how I should go about training them? I need 10 clones a month and don’t want these girls getting massive.

Should I trim the roots and keep them in the 5L pots or transplant to 20L pots and train from there?

Critical mass in coco loco with extra perlite

2 Likes

@PreyBird1 @Ladithief

2 Likes

Well if your taking clones why train them? Also when you do 10 clones you could take more clones so the whole plant is even. But every time you clone you get 2 more shoots if its cut at the node but not below the node. Mabye fim it. Experiment a little.
But i personally do a clone to mother. I take the best top of my best plant and it is now the new mother plant. Then i grow it bigger and take the top as a nice new clone and now it is going to be the new mother. This way i always have a tiny mother plant. Big mothers are a pia to maintain and can get a pest/bugs and a tiny plant is easier to de-bug or treat than a big plant. I also Always clone my best plants before i flower because i like to do perpetuation growing. ALWAYS have back up baby mother clones/plant. I your mother dies or you flower her away then you could lose a strain for good. And lastly i always like to have my best plants in 4 stages of growth. 1. A tiny clone. 2. A Small baby plant. 3. Juvenile plant. 4. Full grown. just before flipping to flower

8 Likes

@Packee is a cloner… I do but only for sale or to sex come spring…etc… I don’t even technically grow indoor… I only veg and prep my outdoor indoor… never flowered one out indoors yet…

3 Likes

@PreyBird1 definitely some good advice! I have about 2 weeks untill I need to start a new batch of clones. Should I strip one and take the absolute best from that as my new mother while leaving my other one alone untill the next batch of clones.

2 Likes

If its the only one yes. If not take the top off each one. But mark it so you dont mix up the mother. One time i took a bunch clones from multiple mothers and didnt mark them. What a mistake. Because when i had the weed to smoke and try out. some of the cuts were better and had better nugs and nug density was better-tighter flower and it was more stoney. I had to flower out all of the cuts clones i took and marked them and start them flowering over again to re-identify those favotite cuts and tight bud aspects. It took months.

4 Likes

My genetics seem to be super strong so far so I wasn’t too worried about which one I cloned as long as it came for the two best plants. Now I see what your saying will strengthen my genetics even more and help with not having a massive mother

Unfortunately I won’t have the opportunity to smoke it before I pick the ones I like. I’ll be 2-3 harvests down the line before my first bud is cured ready to go

Here in the vetted side of GN. There is a guy who has been cloning the same way, for 37yrs. Same original clone. @Farmer_Dan this guy inspired me into this style of clone to mother growing. Love it here.

4 Likes

@PreyBird1 I picked this girl out to be my new mother and she’s sprouting 3 nodes per level. Is it a freak or genetics that can be passed on?

4 Likes

Thats plant structure. Genetic unless you top at a node. Then the plant will make 2 shoots.

2 Likes

How’s that for some healthy roots :+1::+1::+1: transplanted the mothers to bigger pots and plan on striping one for clones next go around

4 Likes

Well not sure where you got the mothers…but in MJ three nodes can also be hermaphrodite. SO watch it careful for both sex on the same plant.

2 Likes

The mothers were grown from mr nice seeds. Plants have been very strong so far but we’re feminized

1 Like

I did that this round. Smh

Where have you read this?

1 Like

Hermaphrodite traits are hidden and can happen with a little stress there is no way to know that i have ever heard of.

3 Likes

I thought that was a bit weird I’ve never heard or read that before

1 Like