Hydroponics vs Substrate and hand watering info please

Alright fellow smokers can people provide some info on what’s a decent system to buy and on their experiences with hydroponics and how the feel about using them compared to using substrate and hand watering please? Obviously it save hand watering them.

4 Likes

Not a huge fan of hydro unless you are already a master or willing to pay for canna aqua (the stuff just plain old works) but look up “blue mat watering system” it’s foolproof if in a living soil mix low labor for sure.not sure how it would perform in pro mix but perfect for coco as well (for sure)

4 Likes

Thanks fella

3 Likes

What do you prefer just hand watering?

1 Like

I prefer the blue mat set up and some hand watering when doing misting, still do one deep watering once a week to do my feeds

2 Likes

What’s a deal watering mate? Just drenching ye plants?

Do you must your plants ye? I was going to list mine but thought it may be bad. I have my clones at a very high humidity My clones are looking healthy and bright green but no roots yet only done them Saturday though.

2 Likes

A deep watering is in reference to no till style growing, once a week you water enough to slowly nurse the water to the lower section of pot, this is when one will want to feed

2 Likes

If they are not wilted I wouldn’t mist it removes nutrients from foliage,“reverse foliar feeding” is handy if plants are over fed

2 Likes

I’ll look in to it

3 Likes

@Marbsbuds , hydro scares me, always blows my mind to see guys making it work. Its by far better if you know what you doing and have an eye for detail - but I have always preferred soil as its a lot more forgiving. I am not always on top of things, and soil just gives me those extra days if I am outside chasing butterflies or lost donkeys.

I would love to find a cheap watering system like @hoppiefrog suggests and uses. I have looked into the autopot, but its a little out my budget. Hand watering for me is perfect, I enjoy spending time on detail, looking at the plants, giving them just the right amount of water they need. Plants also use different amounts of water, and its fairly straightforward for me as I dont usually go over about 40 plants per season.

2 Likes

I grow hydro because it frees me up

4 Likes

You have the skill too, damn I need to up my game. It frees you up, you grow big and better buds too.

3 Likes

Theres some good hydro growers here.
Always willing to help

3 Likes

I know, I know. I am just being an ass, procrastinator. I have entire systems gathering dust here, done hydro courses, messed with homemade hydro systems, but just avoid it like the plague for my reason above. We have a local startup shop in our village, I might be buying a off-the-shelf system soon to grow lettuce. Small steps for me brother, I like my soil.

3 Likes

What system do you use mate?

And thanks @chrisj

2 Likes

It’s one I made

3 Likes

Check out "rainbird watering system"probably more in your budget

3 Likes

Made in California, affordable, looks perfect thanks hops. Got a meeting in an hour with the local farmers coop to work on stocking soil amendments specifically for cannabis!!! Its something our social club asked for at our last meet and hopefully they going to stock them before next season. Cross fingers!!

3 Likes

Np :+1: best of luck getting those dry amendments! They sure are easy to work with

2 Likes