Hypochlorous Acid.....Deep Dive

You’re a smart ass yourself as well ey :wink: Love it, good man.

*Not smart ass, cunning is what I was looking for.

8 Likes

Remeber monkey, all bacteria, fungi, mycoplasms are living cells with multiple different organs…lots of kill points in those…
A virus is nothing more than a strand of DNA in a protein coat…yikes !

9 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up! Should’ve known it as it’s the same for antibiotics (sufficient on bacteria, insufficient on a virus) for the same reasons, no?

If I could adopt you as my grandpa, I would. Walking book of knowledge.

10 Likes

There’s still a few bb’s rolling around in the boxcar, but I’m way too old to find a new home !!!

8 Likes

Find find, no need to find. Just ship your ass down under, got you covered. A +1 is allowed.

8 Likes

Thank you gents for the answers and the humor.
I use the stuff, on a shit ton of kitchen stuff…smelly disposal, dehydrator racks, meat slicer blade and slide deck, counters and cutting boards, hands. I even spray it in my stinky work boots.

9 Likes

You know, viruses are the most frightening pathogens on earth…they are not even ‘living’ !
They cannot live or reproduce without invading a donor cell. It’s crazy how quickly they can attach to and invade a donor cell. Once through the cell wall, their DNA starts to produce RNA and the host cell itself does all the reproduction of the virus…they can even subjugate some of the host DNA to help them mutate… that’s probably why SARS, Covid, and Influenza will ALWAYS be with us !!!

8 Likes

And this is somewhat a good thing. The more a virus mutates, the less harmful it becomes to its ‘host’ / it adapts itself to keep the host alive. Hence why Influenza used to be as dangerous and deadly as Covid, but is much more ‘mild’ nowadays. It was a different story with the Plague…A bacteria tho, but one that didn’t adapt itself to its host, many infected people would die within 48hrs after the first symptoms… With that high mortality, the disease also disappeared after a few years (not entirely, it’s still around in parts of Africa, Asia and… the US!!!)

7 Likes

Does the hypochlorous acid smell get absorbed by our carbon air filters? Wondering if it’s better to disconnect them until the room is aired out after spraying my tent to avoid taxing the filter

7 Likes

@treetrunks…Yes the odor of course, is given off by free chlorine molecules…They will be ‘absorbed’ or attached to the activated carbon surface. I don’t believe they are significantly ‘taxing’ . IMHO I believe your filter will probably be compromised (plugged) much more quickly with dust, dander, smoke, pollen, or mold spores long before the small molecules of free chlorine would have any significant affect on your charcoal filtration…

9 Likes

Hey we are clean fellas @TheMadFlascher! No smoking in the tent ffs!

8 Likes

FYI all following this thread.
Impello Biosciences

Hypochlorous Acid & Beneficial Bacteria: THE TRUTH 🌱

A common misconception among horticulturists and hobby gardeners is that hypochlorous acid, a typical sterilizing agent used in commercial crop production, kills all microorganisms. This is inaccurate.

Certain beneficial microorganisms, like Bacillus, are notoriously difficult to kill thanks to their endospore forming-ability. In our first installment of Impello insights we break down this common misconception.

Hypochlorous Acid & Beneficial Microorganisms

At Impello, we have tested the compatibility of our microbial products many times with some of the most widely used hypochlorous acid inputs available.

Each time, we have found that the Bacillus microorganisms have no issue colonizing the rhizosphere and reproducing when applied with hypochlorous acid.

The performance report below conducted alongside a commercial cannabis grower demonstrates the survivability of Bacillus. Click the link below to read now!
Hypochlorous Acid vs. Impello Bacillus

8 Likes

I’ve been using HC Roots for years in my cloner and just found out it’s HOCI. Hydrobuilder recommends using HOCI in RDWC systems at 2 ppm/pg.

8 Likes

Indeed !
280ppm not real concentrated, but hey, if you have it —use it!

I would think most growers once aware of the concentration:price ratio would adapt this one for all their acid requirements, That is if they don’t have the generator themselves!

https://www.amazon.com/Hypochlorous-Cleaning-Medical-Professionals-Machines/dp/B08QGYD4PC/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2GY556L0H2BV4&keywords=hypochlorous%2Bacid&qid=1680974122&sprefix=hypochlorous%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-5&th=1

8 Likes

I plan on making a batch in my ECO1 and comparing it to the UC Roots I have on hand to see the difference in strength then adjust the ECO1 made solution to use instead of the UC Roots. Save some dollars using it instead! Lol!

9 Likes

Check out their clear line as well i think it’s more concentrated

6 Likes

I’m having to treat a powdery mildew mess on some bushes right outside the house. Gonna spray it down a few times and see if I can knock this down

HOCl to the rescue

10 Likes

Thought I should do an update about using potassium chloride based hypochlorous acid in my reservoir. Still using it in all areas of my grow mothers/cloning, veg and flower. Just harvested another round last night. The amount of money I saved vs buying my own so far is crazy. Reservoirs are way cleaner than with hydrogen peroxide and I prefer the home made to the bottles because Im making new batches fairly often instead of using the same giant bottle and having the ppm of hypochlorous drop overtime. I tested my FF root drip when it got toward the bottom and it wasn’t anywhere near the original concentrations.

11 Likes

Hypochlorous Acid Skincare Benefits.

8 Likes

Did it knock it down?

2 Likes