Hypochlorous Acid.....Deep Dive

Gosh Tree,

I’m going to be useless !

I honestly haven’t used a ORP since my college days…LOL,they may have been the wind-up models !!!

7 Likes

I’m using Bartovation chlorine strips 0-300, they do make a 0-1000 but the colors are too hard to tell apart. If I have to measure over 300 ppm I dilute 50% with distilled water. They do say free chlorine in the description but the title says chlorine restaurant sanitizer strips. https://bartovation.com/product-category/disinfectants-sanitizers/chlorine/

I got mine off a Amazon Canada just because it was easier and faster but also cost more on Amazon.

4 Likes

Don’t buy the 75 dollar one. Spend 200 and get a real one. I was told to buy the Milwaukee.

5 Likes

Thank you @Slym3r , do you know if it is the
Milwaukee MW500 PRO ORP or a different model?

5 Likes

Yeah i believe so.

5 Likes

Got my bluelab PH pen setup last night and did a bunch of hypochlorous measurements. 1 L distilled water 2 grams potassium chloride and 1 teaspoon distilled vinegar 5% tested at 3.6 PH before running the machine.

After the first 5 minute cycle the PH rose to 5.2. I then added another teaspoon distilled vinegar which dropped the PH to 4.2. Then I ran the second 5 min cycle and the PH rose to 5.1. I added another teaspoon of vinegar bring the PH back down to 4.4. After running another cycle it rose back to 5.0. I added another teaspoon brining the PH to 4.6 and ran another cycle which rose it to 4.8ph. I added another teaspoon and the PH dropped to 4.7. I ran the fifth cycle and the PH dropped to 4.6.

After that I added additional vinegar in 1 teaspoon increments to lower the PH for storage. 1 for storage dropped it to 4.5, 2 to 4.4, 3 to 4.3, 4 to 4.2, 5 to 4.2, 6 to 4.1, 7 to 4.0, 8 to 4, 9 to 3.9, 10 to 3.9, 11 to 3.8 and 12 to 3.8 ph.

I tested the finished Hypochlorous with the new PH and vinegar procedure and it seems MUCH stronger then what I was getting before. I watered it down 7x and it still hit 100+ on the chlorine strips.

I was trying to land each cycle in this range and then drop the PH further for shelf stability after the 5th cycle.

8 Likes

With this chart, you can see why I stress the pH of 3.5-5.5 !
Thanks for the contribution of details ! A benefit to all !

8 Likes

Bob, lets revisit this topic. I need to go back and find the source, but I heard/read some topics on HLV and the discussion of what/how to clean up equipment. Apparently Alcohol is insufficient to kill it in any way but Bleach and KCLO will kill it with a 30 second contact time. SO yet again another win for introducing into ones arsenal.
I’m sure that your access to the industry might give you better access to white papers on the topic and can confirm this is not speculation and rumor.

7 Likes

Sure Dog,

I believe you’re referring to HpLV (Hop Latent Viroid)
Bleach will work, but truly hypochlorous acid much more effective and you will find in plant tissue culture it is usually hypochlorous acid that is used for all surface sanitation, and even the sample sterilization beforethe pieces are placed in medium.

Bleach (sodium or calcium hypochlorite) is really only good for surface disinfecting…the oxidation state of chlorite is much more hazardous to any plants or plant materials. (great for bleaching clothes though! )

8 Likes

I believe you’re referring to HpLVD, gotcha! :smiling_imp:

8 Likes

Damn Monkey ! There just ain’t no use trying to bullshit you !!

8 Likes

Gotta wake up early to catch the (smart ass) monkey :wink:

9 Likes

LOL, it’s ALWAYS the pink monkeys that hammer me !

8 Likes

What’s the reason behind alcohol not working? @TheMadFlascher. That surprised me!

8 Likes

You’re a smart ass yourself as well ey :wink: Love it, good man.

*Not smart ass, cunning is what I was looking for.

8 Likes

Remeber monkey, all bacteria, fungi, mycoplasms are living cells with multiple different organs…lots of kill points in those…
A virus is nothing more than a strand of DNA in a protein coat…yikes !

9 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up! Should’ve known it as it’s the same for antibiotics (sufficient on bacteria, insufficient on a virus) for the same reasons, no?

If I could adopt you as my grandpa, I would. Walking book of knowledge.

10 Likes

There’s still a few bb’s rolling around in the boxcar, but I’m way too old to find a new home !!!

8 Likes

Find find, no need to find. Just ship your ass down under, got you covered. A +1 is allowed.

8 Likes

Thank you gents for the answers and the humor.
I use the stuff, on a shit ton of kitchen stuff…smelly disposal, dehydrator racks, meat slicer blade and slide deck, counters and cutting boards, hands. I even spray it in my stinky work boots.

9 Likes