I value your opinion, nutrients... Organic or Synthetic?

So I’m going to be flipping into flower with in the next 2 weeks. I’ve set up my first tent and have everything but nutrients. Starting out with 2 two foot 3000k t5 and 2 red led and will be purchasing an hps within the next month. I’m kind of on the fence with it. Trying to decide to go with Mission Fertilizer organic or Canna synthetic. I’m currently running organics floranova grow and dr earths nitro big and folier spraying with superthrive every other fill up of water. What’s you opinion and how should I introduce a new feeding cycle? Yes I know organically are abetted for consumption but what will give a better smelling, tasting, dense product?

2 Likes

You are using organics stay that way. or are you trying to mix up your plants?

2 Likes

Why are you changing products mid-grow? Do Floranova and Dr Earth not have bloom nutes? Are you not satisfied with their veg nutes and want to try something better?

2 Likes

The flora nova has been ok but not impressive. I’m just wanting to invest in some better quality nutes as I go into flower and start the babies on better quality. I’ve enjoyed buds grown with the floranova start to finish and it doesn’t seam like what I’m looking for. The taste and denseness wasn’t there. Looked fantastic but I like some flavor to it beside just burnt grass.

1 Like

I’m leaning on staying organic cause I’ve been told it gives a better taste compared to synthetic

1 Like

What have you got for a growing environment? Are you able to keep your temperature, humidity, CO2 and light intensity exactly where you want it? Having an environment that is predictable and consistent is number one for me.
Next, have you run these genetics before? Do you know how they respond to changes in environment? That would be number two for me.
Finally, dial in the nutrition. Organics need to be broken down by soil biology before they are plant available, so reacting to plant needs is a delayed process. Synthetics are immediately plant available. I’m a control freak, so I run synthetics in rockwool.

6 Likes

That burnt grass flavor could be from poor flushing or too fast drying, not necessarily any one nutrient line. Airy nugs could be from low light intensity or too much heat during bloom.

3 Likes

Whatever you choose it will not make big difference , i give slight advantage to synthetic . Like @devjyarn said if you are passionate about growing and controlling you will go with synthetic , you will need a little bit more experience . Organic is more simple but it gives very similar results in yield and quality . Organic doesnt mean always more healthy , example cannabis organic growers they deal with very high heavy metals going organic and etc . First we need to know whats Organic , a lot people are talking about it but they dont know what it is . Organic from biological , agricultural and chemistry point of view are totally different things , sometimes Organic describes is the compound found in the nature or not . Even some thing that you can find in the nature like Potassium Bicarbonate are made in labs , Organic is a huge business today and doesnt mean healthy by definition .

2 Likes

For weed growing purposes, at least in my head, organic means using naturally derived products that are microbially chelated (either in a bottle, tea, or in the medium), rather than chemically chelated.

3 Likes

I’m trying to get my climate dialed in with veg according with the VPD chart. It’s being a bit tough with Heat just cause I’m running a 4" inline, an oscillating fan and 2 150w Uncovered Metal halide (meaning there is no glass between the bulb and canapoy) in my closet. I’m usually around 84-85F or 29.4C and humidity 43-45%. I haven’t done anything about c02 but I do have other companion plants and wet rocks to help humidity. I need to upgrade my veg light to lower the temp or maybe raise my light more. It’s but I just started a new job and need to catch up on the priorities first. I’ve utilized the barter system to get where I’m at now except for buying seeds and the nutes. I’m going to be flipping some into the flower tent in the next 2 weeks so I want to buy good quality nutes once so this is part of my home work on what to get. That’s why I came here I value your time and experienced opinion. I would also say to me organic should be everything made from Mother Nature mixed into a dialed in concaucsion.

2 Likes

Well since your newer than me and i have used the roots organics line. Absoulutly fantastic by the way. And a dakine420 sampler pack $40 on growershouse.com and its a 3 part. Its enough for 2 grows and 6 plants-12 plants. I have a lot of nutrients for soil and DWC hydro.

This is what im using on this grow. Dakine420 2.5 g base and 2.5g grow with 4 drops superthrive and 8ml of roots organics surge. Follwed by a medium misting of water then a folier seaweed spray followed by a anther light misting just in case the seaweed burns the plants.
I like the roots organics so much i got the master pack.

I also have the advanced nutrients grower hobby pack

2 Likes

For me I prefer organics in promix and chemical nutes in hydro.i use earth juice for organics and I have had success with canna aqua for hydro.

3 Likes

Man i got try some promix. I like ocean forest soil drains very well and holds water well. Ive been using 2 gallons a day on my plants. And my ppms are at 528 with nutrients.

3 Likes

If anyone curious to know more about using dry salts/powdered nutrients I’d be happy to answer any questions. For just under $200 Canadian I’ve got enough to make nearly 4000 gallons of full strength bloom nutrients, or enough for 8000 gallons of clone/veg/bloom.

3 Likes

You do let the roots dry out between waterings, correct?

1 Like

What ingredients would you stay away from?

2 Likes

Wait how the heck do you know if the roots are dry? I usually stick my fingers into the soil about 2-3 inches and feel it. I have a little too much fan going on here i found out. Its sapping all my water. And another issue i discovered was the water was not getting into all the pots correctly. The soil got a little too dry and the water had been running to the pots edges and pissing all over and not soaking the root ball totally. So i poked a couple holes and and slowly watered them. But back to the dry roots? Now i NEED to know!

1 Like

How much dry-back you allow can really influence the plant’s growth and development.

Veg - Keep your medium more moist, between 50-80% saturated, with a lower strength feed given more consistently.

Flower - Allow the medium to dry out more, 30-70% saturated, but water heavily with a higher strength feed when irrigation time does come.

1 Like

Interesting i had no idea? These plants were planted with plain old vegtable soil from lowes and then amended a lot. And then transplanted into happy frog soil. But early in life they were watered 2x a day for 10 minutes along with the garden veggies. All my new plants are in ocean forest soil and it drains pretty well. But ill cut back the water a little.
SX425
I have one of these in the shed outside. Could i utilize this low tech device to help?

2 Likes

I gave you some bad advice. You are growing in soil. You need to keep it consistent to allow microbial and chemical changes to happen in soil.
Only dry back your medium to steer your plants if you are growing hydroponically.

2 Likes