Important paper with a lead on how to calculate canabinods potential

Here is a paper we the growers need to take a close look at and discuss.

The Inheritance of Chemical Phenotype in Cannabis sativa L.

The real import part of this article is a method of projecting the productivity of your crop.

@Farmer_Dan, @Growernick, @Hunter, @GrowFlux

2 Likes

That kind of math is why I dropped the advanced math in High school! HAHA.

1 Like

But, if you could predict the grams of dry wieght per sqft week in your Grow! You can predict revinue. This is key for use to move from cottage industry to a mature floricultuel business. The boutique growers stand to gain the most.

The math can be converted to an excel plug in an analytical chemist like @neville could give use a simple test for calculating volume and chemical potential.

The potential for our industry is important.

From the voices in my head
Ethan

1 Like

Very true and would love to see a real world grow use it and see how close it comes. With most large grows, they move from strain to strain because they hear what people want and act. With that mind set or not keeping same strains in house to build a data log, This equation will not work. They will not know what numbers to put in the equation until they have ran it and not just once because there are always Learning curves with every cultivar. What do you think?

1 Like

I think that we can calculate the ideal for a given dry wieght for any cultivar. The root hair paper I posted shows us how much precursor chemical can be produced.

Good growing is still required for high expected dry wieght. The key is still my grams per sqft week of production. Now I have a means of comparing the genetics of one cultivars or F1 seed to each other. Based on science not guess work.

If I want to be in the money end of the business of growing grams per sqft week will be a key metric. I can tie it back to my COA in accounting and can bases production decisions on hard facts.

Hard production facts are what make good floricultue businesses.

Ethan

1 Like

Great article from a heritability standpoint. I’ve wondered how many alleles control CBD to THC rations. A simple dominating pair make that pretty straight forward.

Using this formula (after field trials) is a good idea for making breeding decisions.

1 Like

The work from pre WW2 suggest that it is a simple 1:2:1 ratio of CBD only: Cbd+THC: THC only. Some current published work is showing this as repeatable fact.

The strange thing is in the total available THC looks to be based on the repeats of one segment of one encoding gene. There is a paper in genetics just looking at this.

The root hair test looks to be an area that is going to answer winner or dud earlier in the breeding cycle.

This also means poliploidisum in cannabis will give us higher potenal yields. Brake out the culchisine.

Terpintines are going to be just a function of pigments, just like in apples and peaches. The grape growers did some work here but they just care more about sugar and brix.

Reading everything does have it place in the world. Think they use to pay me a lot of money to read and figure out how to solve today’s problems with other peoples hard work.

The genetics question is going to be the first person who can define the stitistical aproch to a big data problem. And I think I know two people who might lend there expertise. One is the CTO at a large phara retail operation. The other is going to be in this year’s IBM fellow class. :grin:. Both guys like each other alot. Both smoke pot and both understand big data and genomic search problems in practical settings. Plus, I bet we can free time on the big IBM computing array. I have a distributive nested set calculation method that IBM wants to license and I have the copyright. :upside_down_face: I think I will trade them for computer time and a new Unix box and a full db2 license for life. Just to play with the math again. Oh I wish. For now I am happy I can read more difficult things. Baby steps.

Ethan

Very Interesting article but I’m a simple person, I have no idea what values to use for this pattern and how to take them. Probably because I’m far behind you with the knowledge I have. :zrelaksowany:

in general, I will tell you something, the longer I am with you and the more I read, the more I am scared about the amount of information that needs to be learned in order to perfect it. :przyciszony:

1 Like

Adam,

Growing any crop is hard work. Farmers do not get rich, they can live a comfortable life style. If you live in a community of any size high end specialty vegetables often make vary good money. Things that don’t ship well, sell really well. Look up subscription farming. Community supported agricultural .

I have had friend become very successful with this approach. Enough money to pay for private education for there children. That is my definition of success, giving your children a better life than there parents.

Hemp is going to be a risky crop, because it is commodity priced.

This group is really geared to allow professional growers of cannabis move from an illegal clandestine market to an open market. Old closet practices are being replaced by solid horticultural practices, based on 150 years of experience.

I don’t know your background, but I have always believed that you have to do what you love. If you do what you love work become play.

Warm regards
Ethan.

1 Like

I realize this.
That’s why I am here to acquire information and share experiences which will create this community which in 100% safe and legal manner will be able to offer consumers 100% tested and safe products.

Yes, now I am doing what I like and it is really great when you can enjoy the benefits of work which is entertainment for you, not compulsion.
That’s why I want to expand for hemp cultivation.
This is a voice in my head :slight_smile: @ethan

1 Like

There is never to much data, still sounds like a scale would have
merit.

Neville

1 Like

I would do weight as you suggested plus see if we can modify the friut tree volumemetic calculation to see if we can develop a model predicting dry wieght.

Ethan

Dan,

Here is a starting point for open source DNA and RNA sequence for cannabis Cannabis open source . About 600 have fully sequenced and assembled in the correct order. The remaining data is unmatched as of this point. That is a crazy amount of data.

I think a basic punnet square will be a good starting point.

To search the big data is going to take a crazy statistical model. I think I want to look at the known high THC producers and see what they have no common. The early reports are the number of repeating sequences for two encoding chains.

But looking through 100 gigs of data requires lots of horse power and a good search model. The 100 gigs need to be subset into likely targets hopefully on first pass 1 gig of data. Then I could take it to a fast PC running IBM DB2. I think from here we can do more detailed pattern matching.

You can get a full matched sequence of any candidate plants for around $250 a plant. Once you have a plant you like we can run a full compare. I would see if I can get free IBM time on the big array. We will not even be a blip on usage. IBM owes me big time.

I am going to go to UMD next week to look at applied analytical math Journels for search methods of big data in regards to DNA hunting. Plants are a lot easier than zoological DNA. Plants have lots of repeats for secondary plant compounds.

Oh the fun.

Ethan.

This will have huge implications on this new competitive market we stand to live in today if it can be implemented correctly. It is especially important indoors where every last gram counts because of the high initial and ongoing costs compare to greenhouses. Although the math truthfully is way over my head.

1 Like

The math need by a grower is a good understanding of high school algibra. Kahn academy offers a free refresher class on line.

The scheduling just requires Microsoft Project.

Accounting you just need quickbooks and a good chart of Accounts. Cost everything back to your crops.

We all have specialties the key is do what you do well and farm out the rest.

Ethan

1 Like