Interveinal reddening and rust spots

Got to check ph but if it’s low can I use calcium bicarbonate (instead of calcium carbonate?) and gypsum

1 Like

I can’t get calcium carbonate handy ATM have to order it in

1 Like

From the article:

Low pH, High Mg and Low Ca

May use ag lime to raise pH and gypsum to drive excess Mg off of the exchange sites
High calcium ag lime is preferred
Do not use high Mg ag lime (dolomitic)
Apply gypsum and ag lime products together or in a rotation, depending on budget constraints…

4 Likes

I caught that just trying to figure out a alternative for the mean time while I wait for some calcium carbonate (ag lime) in the mail. But I do have calcium bicarbonate and gypsum any thoughts?

Maybe just start with gypsum until you get the lime and measure soil pH?
Let’s ask @Jess

5 Likes

Already did lol

1 Like

Tks for the helps man :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for the referral @JoeGrow.
Adding gypsum will increase the levels of calcium and sulfur in your soil. If you’re going to use calcium bicarbonate, don’t use too much. Too many bicarbs can start to lock out other nutrients.
Checking pH of your runoff should always be step number one. At low pH levels calcium simply becomes unavailable to the plant roots.

6 Likes

And the gypsum just sprinkle a handful on a 30 gallon pots w 25 gal of promix in there?

3 Likes

Follow the instructions on the label, and monitor it closely. I would recommend only doing one supplement at a time to see how/if they work.

3 Likes

I bought the gypsum in a baggie lol

2 Likes

Didn’t realize that would contain sulfur as well. It sounds like it’s possible that @hoppiefrog’s calcium deficiency may be due merely to low soil pH.

Is that right @Jess?

4 Likes

Im gonna do a soil pH test when I get home

3 Likes

Most definitely! That is the most frequent cause of calcium deficiencies when growing in soil.

4 Likes

soil pH looks good I’m gonna try the gypsum I’ll go light on it

4 Likes

I transplanted a week ago so possibly a ph issue within the root ball portion of the pot and I can’t test that I’ll check runoff next

3 Likes

The Soil/water ratio can affect the conductivity readings of that instrument.

Throw that soil into a rag then squeeze out the water and test only that.

It’ll probably be the same but it always pays to know :wink:

4 Likes

Tks I’ll strain some and check it again run off was 6.61 so a bit high for organics (5.8 target)

2 Likes

The soil pH is actually 6.9 after straining dirt so if should be 5.8 for organics. Would that lock out the calcium?

3 Likes

This is the first time I’ve ever heard this

1 Like