Invite Accepted - Killer Plants

Greetings from the SW desert.

Growing killer plants, aquatic plants indoors, and always learning.

Growing with 2 HLG100’s and just ordered more to expand.

Cheers!

12 Likes

Hello @webskipper :wave:

4 Likes

giphy%20(13)

Welcome to Growers Network @webskipper :grin:

5 Likes

I’ve always thought of adding a few to a small indoor grow to keep things like fungus gnats down.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Carnivorous plants love light and humidity. Prefer to be bottom watered, too.

They’ll keep the gnats in check with a nite lite.

6 Likes

Thanks for the welcomes!

5 Likes

6 Likes

Ok so that could b a problem in our hobby. How does that work for growing cannabis?

1 Like

Just leave a small light on for 1-2 hrs near the carnivorous plants while your main lights are off. Maybe put a quantum board on a timer to go off after the main lights too.

Sundews are easier to care for.

I have a couple dozen adults ready to flower.

We can’t have any lights on during lights out. Not even an indicator light on a fan.

Do they require light?

Bright light and high humidity, inert soil. I use peat and perlite 50/50. Check your coco for salinity. It’ll work, too.

As I was recommending. Leave one main light on say an hour longer and have the carnivorous plants in that area. I use two HLG100 4K’s over a 4x2 area on an apollo18 timer with stagnated times. My killer plants are loving it and flowering.

The bugs are going to be drawn to a Sundew regardless of light duration because the leaves look wet with dew drops. Sundew are easier than Venus fly traps.

3 Likes

This is where u lose me. This is impossible in flower. The light schedule is inflexible. 12/12

1 Like

Could you do one at 11/13 and one at 12/12?

3 Likes

Could do autos and not worry about light cycle so much. But it does limit him to only autos or moving the killer plants elsewhere during flower.

2 Likes

A low intensity green LED light could be used during the dark period. This could be placed near the carnivorous plants.

This should attract things – like fungus gnats – towards something like a Sundew instead of your main crop during the dark period.

~MacG

5 Likes

Geraniums work extremely well as a companion plant, put them on putter edge of garden and by doors and any other source of concern. They stink but they work as a preventative if u have a sick plant encircle it with geraniums bugs won’t like it

3 Likes

I believe they’re poisonous (geraniums)to cats/dogs tho. So just an FYI to any of our pet owning friends

Packee

4 Likes

Another natural pest trap method is using white vinegar or any vinegar for that matter. Even old cider works. Add a little brown sugar or molasses to some vinegar in a wonton soup container and the bugs will find it. Hanging or amongst the pots.

The advantage to vinegar is that it is safe for plants. It is a carbon source for your plants.

When the vinegar CH3COOH gets into the water it will break down into CO2 and H2O, more water.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t let my pets in my room either tho

4 Likes