Is 2lbs a plant really possible indoors

should also note almost all ‘supersoil’ recipes call for some crushed shell (Ca. supplement) in their mix

1 Like

All of this and dont veg plants for a week. my typical veg is 120days plus. You want a pound or two per light. It means one harvest a year

2 Likes

I have a full recipe list i use for my super soil. but yes oystershell is used for this

2 Likes

If we are talking about licensed fertilizers vs “Plant Foods” there is a big difference on is for professionals the other is crap.

Look at @ron he produces an outstanding line of products HGV Suprior Plant Nutrition he supplies a product. Look at this label of his 14.5:0:0:19 This is an outsanding product with 14.5 % of Calcium Nitrate. Ron has legal government labeling for a fertilizer.

This is why I will not let a plant food in my door, it is just not a fertilizer.

I will not buy liquids, unless there is no other way to get what I need. I don’t want to ship water!

from the voices in my head

Ethan

2 Likes

If you want to know what i use message me. I dont use any premixed water brands. instead i work with powedered npk plus micro and macros.

1 Like

Co2 isnt effective until the temps go above 85 degress. the ideal zones are daytime below 75. night time below 65.
As for how to get the best returns. think of it this way. you could grow two or three big plants. this might take a whole six months. Or you make a lot of small plants with quick turns. I am not a believer in these guys who say veg 10 days loool. My minimum is 90 day veg. remember when veg starts. thats close to a extra 20 ish days. so from seed germ to flip. 120 days is a great number.
However scrog will produce the same numbers typically my runs are four lbs in a 8x4 tent under scrog. this is on a 90 day full veg + germ time + transition + full flowering time. so that alone is like 200 days.

if you did twenty plants. veg them thirty days +germ. yes you will yeild 3 ozs. 3 x 20 is 60 ozs. not to bad. but not the way i do it.

1 Like

Or watts per gram

2 Likes

Moderate CO2 (generally 900 ppm or so) is effective below 85°F if your ppfd is higher (generally above 500 umol/m2/s). There are a lot of other environmental/genetic factors that change those numbers around but supplemental CO2 can be used effectively in many grow environments. Temperature is only 1 factor to consider.

2 Likes

I agree. I use it year round. even when my day temps are not above 70. My ppm sat is around 900. Its just not AS effective as it can be with higher temps.

1 Like

I’d recommend calculating your $/g/day or week to produce smaller plants vs larger plants, and compare that to the overall yield/yr potential and the market price of your crop. You may find, even with plant count restrictions, that it is more cost effective to grow smaller plants with a faster turnaround allowing for more crops/yr generating more overall yield/yr or alternatively that the cost to produce a larger crop is greater and doesn’t offset the yield gains or something in between. You have to experiment. My guess is most people, even the ones pulling 2+ per plant, haven’t done this simple cost analysis which is the only way to determine which method is best for you in your grow. Noone can tell you what’s best for your garden and growing style (with the exception of general best practices like IPM strategies) without spending time with you in your garden and running the numbers.

2 Likes

I can get there via accounting interface.
Accounting is lined up to the production schedules real time as are other numbers if you use the projects feature in quickbooks and the odbc API for bidirectional data.

A the operational metrics and projection have to be real-time. Or you are behind before you start. ISO8601 weeks to projects. If I just cost account to sqft week I get everything a banker would want. 0.1 meters is better but not required only small change in significants.

Rember, I did metric for a living for 20 years. I have been work with square foot weeks for almost 40 years in comercal greenhouse production. I have spoken an published work for my masters in 1989. Just on greenhouse production queues and KPM and KPI. A lot has changed since then. But the mathematical model is the same as we have been using scince 1900. Only incremental changes in nested set queueing theory. I was the first in glasshouse production queues to quantify the mathematical equation for computers. Turns out to be a lot like staffing a hospital. Almost, plants don’t want weekends and holidays off two dimensions you don’t have to deal with in the regression.

From the voices in my head
Ethan

3 Likes

Aside from all the other great information you’ve gotten here around nutrients and environment, 2 pound plants are 100% attainable with 3-4 week veg growing the vert tree style in modified hempy buckets. (18 gallon tote, 4 inches of big and chunky perlite on bottom, a pic elbow for a drain at the top of the perlite, and a 50/50 mix of coco and perlite. I did it commercially for many years here in CA with very low plant counts. For instance, in a 16 light room, I’d have only 25 plants and yield 32 pounds plus. If you have the light and the space, but have to keep your plant count low, then I personally love this style.

If you’d like more information about this, I’d be happy to help. It’s super simple, especially for the home gardener. It’s also fun to be able to move around on a rolling stool and be IN the canopy.

For reference, here’s a picture of a 2lb plant (which you can see by the gaps, could have actually produced more. It’s Chem D (aka Chem Sis). Yes, she’s a great yielder, but I’ve gotten 2lbs/plant, or just under with many strains. This plant was vegged in a 6in round pot for 2 weeks and 1 week in the big pot before receiving the equivalent of 1000 watts of light in bloom, coming from 4 different sides. You can see from the other pic, early in flower, how plants are surrounded by vertical bulbs. Obviously, you could still measure in grams/ft or grams/watt. Not the best for grams/ft (it’s about 36, but grams per watt is pretty good (1).

7 Likes

What I love to do is calculate your production using some standard math. It the math in the “pot mum” example. It the basic costing method used in the rest of Floricultural. You can use it to manage cost in detail and see how a production practice effects the bottom line. Can I feed the kids.

The plants look nice. What is the size of the finished container? If you like the properties of your mix. Take a look at one of the puffed glass products. Growstone or just course pumice. They will have a higher gas exchange than your curent mix and simalar water retention properties.

Ethan

2 Likes

Hey Ethan, thanks for responding. I’m not sure I fully understand your question. Are you wanting me to break down the cost of this method using the 'pot mum" example? I agree that we need to use an in-depth accounting method to determine if what we’re doing is having a positive effect on our bottom line.

Thanks for the compliment. That method used 18 gallon totes, like you would use on a farm or something. I don’t use this method commercially anymore, we don’t have plant count limitations in CA any longer. I would use it in a home garden though, since we have pretty strict plant count limitations (6) in most cities here.

Thanks!

Ian Caine

2 Likes

I specialize in production planning and cost accounting models.

I am just trying to see if in a comercal grow could what would you Produce in 10k grow? And how? If you give me your spacing you used in your production grow and we scale it to 10k sqft. What is the yield per sqft year. That what I working on. I would be honored to take your production spacing. Your crop time and let see how close I come to production numbers.

The issue I have is the public sqft numbers and the kilo of cannabis are coming in very low.

I am trying to understand why with what we know.

Ethan

There is a commercial facility growing 25Gal root bag sativa monsters and getting 5-6lbs per plant indoors. It’s insane, never have I seen such a big mamma indoors. It’s an interesting approach because they are taking care of less plants.
Personally I feel 2lbs is realistic with a 2lb root bag hydroponics. Maybe coco and bio char like the guys at Trim Shop.
@the_trim_shop
You can also find them on Radicle Bags FB.

2 Likes

How many sqft does a 25 gallon plant take up? :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

For six pound wet or dry?

Ethan

I would use an 8 inch clay azalea pot 2x. You can reuse to you heart contact just run them through a comercal dishwasher and then steam pasturize. Just like we use too. :upside_down_face: before 1973. We where mostly a clay and burlap industry.

I would ideally grow in a puffed glass.

Ethan

Not sure on details. They said it’s over 5lbs dry. I’m asking the same question myself would multiple 3-5 gal make better use of space? The wingspan of the 25gal is at least 10FT in the net. They trellis it up hugeness.
I can ask some details but for sure up to 6lbs per plant indoors is acheivable!

It’s 25gal hydroponics in coco/biochar with an enitre manifold for irrigation.

It’s crazy what growers are doing now days.

K

2 Likes

Eight week verity?

Let me do the math?

Do I owe you other calculate?

Ethan

1 Like