Is the gov't shutdown affecting your cannabis business?

We rarely speak of the BENEFITS of the federal scheduling of cannabis here in the U.S., but the longest government shutdown in American history is having ripple effects everywhere, including in our industry. So, I pose this question to you, @memberdirectory, how is the government shutdown affecting you and your business?

5 Likes

I live close to Yosemite. My shop opens Friday, but traffic in the area is down due to the shutdown. So it hasnā€™t effected me yet, but when I open my doors it should.

I also believe as long as the government shutdown stands, cannabis legislation takes a back seat. I was hoping for bills to be introduced in the next 6 months. However if this keeps up, the focus quickly gets exacerbated.

4 Likes

Wow. Thatā€™s definitely a ripple effect of the shutdown but a serious detriment to your business nonetheless! Hopefully the feds can get their schtuff together ā€“ but weā€™ve only been saying that for like 80 years now, right?

4 Likes

Hey Nick. What a great question.

As you may know the shutdown has affected not only Customs and Border Protection, but also Forest Service firefighters, National Weather Service forecasters, FBI, the Drug Enforcement Agency, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, FDA and Department of Agriculture (not inclusive list).

From the list alone, depending on what sector you operate in, this does affect you. For example, cultivators in California, the risk of not having assistance if a forest fire breaks out and damaging your crops. Manufacturers raw ingredients that are allowed to be imported and exported in bulk are now stuck at Agriculture waiting inspections, with the employees being furloughed. Any companies who have submitted for their DEA permits or license, those approvals are really delayed now. Any federal cases that companies might be involved in are now on hold. Its a domino effect really.

Our company personally is not effected by this as we are a service provider. However, for our customers it might have a impact on their supply chain and operations. Which if it does, means more work for us, to process change orders and modifications to supply and service contracts that are delayed resulting from things out of their control.

6 Likes

Absolutely. We are a type 9 nonstorefront retailer. As of this new year we have received a 35% drop in liquid sales. The same number of people visiting per day. We ran a survey and found that individuals are much more frugal because many think that their tax returns will not be coming in a timely manner. Also- the stock market is in. Bearish condition currently experiencing correction. But usually when the stocks dive, business slows as well.

Very interesting analytics we have pulled from this very interesting time.

5 Likes

Incredibly salient response! What POS software are you utilizing to aggregate that retail data?

4 Likes

Currently switching to blaze.me but using shit mmjmenu for time. I compared sales MTD and sent out a mailer to garnish response.

4 Likes

As an active producer, no. The OLCC is self-funded at this point. I am still getting updates and work sessions are on-going. A conference is scheduled for the end of the month to educate licensees on upcoming rules updates.

I can see how reduced tourism could affect retailā€¦

5 Likes

side note, If government employees are not getting paid, and no money is being spent, I want the taxes coming out of my pay check back.

6 Likes

Cheers to that sentiment!

5 Likes

I just read that the IRS is forcing employees to work without pay. I assume the ā€˜forceā€™ means they would otherwise be fired.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox5sandiego.com/2019/01/15/irs-orders-36000-furloughed-employees-to-return-to-work-without-pay/amp/

6 Likes

Trump is scrambling to look good with his shut down, while trying to keep just enough chaos to distract from the Muller investigation IMO. Its all pageantry and slight of hand.

7 Likes

Solid analysis.

4 Likes

It feels more like the temper tantrum of a petulant child. Unfortunately itā€™s at the sacrifice of hundreds of thousands of dedicated federal employees and members of our armed services who put their lives on the line every day. There are people struggling to put food on the table because of this and that just isnā€™t right. Regardless of your political affiliation, itā€™s hard to look a hungry person in the eye and say ā€œStarve until we build this wall.ā€ It must be easy when you have never known real hunger in your life. Unfortunately, the political posturing of a singe person has leading to hungry American kids.

Itā€™s time for this shutdown to end!

5 Likes

In the meantime Im going to sit back and enjoy my Cesar saladā€¦wait a minuteā€¦shit, guess Ill have to just have a bagel.

4 Likes

I donā€™t remember hearing things like ā€œTemper Tantrumā€ when Obama shut down the governmentā€¦ Or the hundreds of other times people shut down the governmentā€¦

Remember folks, those government workers who are getting paid a good 20% above the private sector average, will also get paid for the hours they worked during the shut down. All this means is their pay check is delayed. I feel sorry for no federal employee in this situation, personally. The gravy train is temporally stopped, O NO!

FYI, I donā€™t care for Trump.

3 Likes

What shut down did we have during 2008 to 2016?

I have about 45 friends directly affected by the shut down.

The Clinton shut down hurt my friends more than this one. But, we all think itā€™s we are older and financially stable.

My friends with children in government, say there kids are worried.

From the voices in my head Ethan :grimacing:

1 Like

We had a shut down in 2013, the house and Senate were sending the spending budget bill back and forth because the GOP was trying to stop Obama care from happening.Some say it was Ted Cruz and others blame Ted Cruz.

4 Likes

Wow,

I donā€™t remember it. :scream:. That is a definite me issue.

Thank you for helping me.

Wow.

From the voices in my head

Ethan

From the voices in my head

Ethan Kayes

1 Like

Weā€™re now entering day 35 of the shut down. Anybody felt the effects?

2 Likes