Is your facility using 100% of your available canopy space?

A recent report out of Washington State found that, compared to their state canopy allotment, the majority of cannabis producers in the state are not utilizing their total allowable canopy space. I found this a little odd, but reminisced on what it takes to scale a cultivation facility. Are our community @mastergrowers, @GrowOpEmployees and @growopowners using using your full canopy space?

3 Likes

It is a good thing that total allowed canopy is not being utilized or we would have a problem with over supply. I have a tier 1 license and we use every single inch of our allowed canopy! Since we are the smallest 2,000 sq ft, we have to maximize our space allowed. There are many tier 2 (up to 10,000 sq ft) that are running out of a building that is too small or the financing has not been there to have a larger grow. I think we do it weird here in Washington State, but hey, making it work so far.

3 Likes

In your opinion, what would be a better way of managing the program?

1 Like

I guess if all 3 of us got real skinny we could squeeze down tighter aisles. We have about 28 inches in between 4 foot rows of foot print. And the plants encroach on that space no matter what. So I would like to think we are at 100 percent

2 Likes

More plants is a good reason to hit the gym!

Suck it in! Think thin!

1 Like

Nah eff that. I like the way I smell after working the garden too much. Lol

2 Likes

Haha smelling like herb sure beats the way we smell after the gym!

1 Like

At half the canopy utilized, growers are getting 1/3 the state projected price of flower. If all growers went to full utilization, they couldn’t give the bud away! If anything, canopy size should be reduced even more

Orange State
OrangeState@outlook.com
(Mobile)509.939.8433

(Mobile)509.688.3132

2 Likes

So in Washington there are three sizes of licenses for producing marijuana and processing and sales are under other licenses. Tier 1- up to 2,000 sq ft, tier 2 up to 10,000 sq ft (5 times bigger than tier 1) and tier 3 up to 30,000 (15 times bigger than tier 1). That is a big spread! I think we should be able to have multiple licenses all limited to 2,000 sq ft but no more than 5 caping out at 10,000 sq ft.

It could level the playing field a bit, just a thought.

2 Likes

Not familiar with Washington licenses. Are you able to stack the plants? Or is it just 2,000 sq ft of canopy?

2 Likes

You can in the veg room but not in the flower rooms. That is unless your flower room is so small that you have to stack but then a 500 sq ft room would count for 1,000 sq ft of your allowed canopy.

2 Likes

Main reason up there in WA is that the market is so flooded that they WILL NOT fill their full canopy space to cut down over head while the market goes back up. When you are selling grams for sub dollar and sales are still slow, It does not make sense to keep up at full capacity. Some places that are tier 3 30,000sqft are growing at less than half their ability allowed by their license. Saves money on labor as well as monthly cost of supplies. Tough times up there. Oregon is becoming just like that. Very tough market right now. Some guys are doing better than others and are branded well and have good sales teams. The others are struggling.

2 Likes

Trying to !

2 Likes

Nice canopy! Are you using 100%?