Just planted in jiffy peat pots having problem!

Peat pots are like fabric pots. The sides will get wet, and the soil can breathe. Things are looking ok to me!

5 Likes

Dang I see , I went ahead and got the confirmation that if they haven’t sprouted out of the soil yet, it would be ok to CAREFULLY move them into solo cups for better drainage. But I guess it was ok for the moment because one was starting to get it’s two top leafs as I was transplanting I seen them poking out. But needed to go ahead and do it for future watering anyways so I didn’t have drainage problems! Thank you tho! And thanks to all that helped me with this issue! Greatly appreciated and wish I could repay you all in some way! Will keep you guys updated on future success and bumps in the road! So far Im falling in love with this process and it just is starting !! Found a great hobby !

3 Likes

@masony122 [quote=“masony122, post:9, topic:31676”]
left them over night and this morning the pots had soaked up all the wate
[/quote]
Did you leave them sit in water and they soaked it up ? Or did you water and they got the pots wet.

That doesn’t matter right now. Still almost 3 months away.
Main thing right now is to get a plant above ground.
I start with a small party cup and put a bunch of holes in bottom.
1/2 to 3/4 fill the cup and place germinated seed twice the seed width below soil level.
I place a dome ( another clear cup or plastic bottle ) over top and gently mist the inside of the dome. Moisten the soil in the cup first before placing seed in but not dripping wet.
Place under 24 hr light for 2 weeks. This makes the roots grow.
No more water on soil. Only mist the domes 2 times /day.
Depending on light type ( it’s important ) it has to either be 4 inches above ( cfl bulbs ) or a bit further ( leds or something else )
After it gets closer to going outside then you can lower your lights on time.
First the plant has to grow. :wink::+1::v:

3 Likes

I see! Other people where saying the same thing! I got them on 18 right now and will have to work them Down to 15 eventually. My LED light timer will only work in hours so I cantadjust the time by minutes like the outdoor photoperiod goes when the days get longer, and also like your saying to slowly bring them back down to the time outdoors from them being on 24 to grow. Appreciate the help !

Also to answer your question I watered and it got the pots wet immediately, so I left them over night thinking it would drain but it did not so I transplanted them into solo cups and now I’m back on track!!

2 Likes

Kool. Glad to hear you’ve got things straightened out. :+1:
They’ll grow just fine. :grin::+1::v:

3 Likes

Just so everyone knows, thanks to all of your guys help, I woke up this morning like a kid on Christmas, I wake up thinking I shouldn’t expect any to have spouted except for maybe my healthiest one because of yesterday’s transplant and water logged pots, but to my surprise, 3 out of 4 have sprouted about 1/2 inch or more out the the ground! Thank you guys so much for you help ! A big thank you to everyone of you who commented on my post giving advice!! the seeds are still stuck to the tops but cracked open! Will the pop off on there own? My first time growing And I’m having a beautiful time so far and lots of fun, will be doing this for many years to come

3 Likes

Normally they will fall by themselves… but you could remove the shells very carefully with tweezers if you notice they prevent your seedlings from growing up…
Happy for you, nice save! :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Thank you kind sir! Will let nature do it’s thing and then I might assist my babies if needed!

2 Likes

and since you are going outdoors get a fan on them and strengthen those stalks…

and try the double cup method… put 4 “slashes” with scissors 90 degree to each other and put the dirt in that… then water in the second cup and cup with slashes in that cup… with in the week you should have roots coming out the bottom of the cup… when you water water into bottom cup andmoisten top 1/4" of cup with soil…

3 Likes