Just planted in jiffy peat pots having problem!

Uploading: image.jpg…

So I planted 4 seeds in 5 inch jiffy peat pots and befor I planted I watered the potting mix and seed starting mix I used to moisten it. And I planted. I put them under the lights and this morning I check on them and no water has drained out of the bottom(I made holes) and the moister is soaking the sides of the peat pots… I’m scared that it’s going to drown them or something… is this ok? Or can I transplant them into cups to where I will get better water drainage?! It’s like the peat pots are kinda soaked half way down the pot and at the bottom. And after being under the lights for 16 hours the soil is still pretty moist. Is it safe to take soil out around the seeds and into a different pot at this early of a stage? That haven’t sprouted yet just been through one 16 hour duration of light. I’m only using 16 hours beicase i have to follow the outdoor photoperiod in my area. Please help!!

I had previously germinated the seeds, all began growing tap roots about 2/4 1/2 inch long .

The moisture might be ok, dont water again until the top 2 inches are drying out to avoid over watering. I use jiffy pellets but not the pots like that. The pellets hold alot of water and seem like they’re way to wet to but I’ve always had 100% germination rate when doing them in those. Not to sure about using the pots. I’ll have to try one out next go around

1 Like

Thank you! So when do you think it will be safe to transplant ? Because I need water drainage happening so I don’t drown them later in the seedling life cycle or root rot. Like 5 days after sprout maybe?

No run off in seedling my friend that’s very bad… Might drown the baby… Look up over potting… Seedlings are a delicate process… It’s going to be 2-5 days before you see a sprout with cotyladons… No more water for now

2 Likes

24 hours lights on might help

2 Likes

So should I take out the soil around the seeds be very careful with it and put them in other smaller pots ?? Or will transplanting right now surly kill them ???

1 Like

Tough one I never tried it to be honest… @PreyBird1 @hoppiefrog @kapouic @devjyarn @oldguy @CoyoteCody @missiles @Ladithief @justgrowin … Help??? :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you for your help, I was going to transplant into solo cups that will surly drain, but still not water for a extended time. Just don’t want to kill them will do anything to save my babies! This is my first time growing and I guess I bought the wrong kind of pot . As soon as I seen them no drain I new something might be wrong. But I left them over night and this morning the pots had soaked up all the water… Everything else has gone 100%!

3 Likes

Root development is key my friend… Research that for sure… Once they get a strong root system going… They are badass plants LoL… Look into light on and off times too typically in seed a 20 on 4 off is what I’ve seen on average… I do 24 on till I see the cotyladons then slowly down time… Veg state is more of the 18 on 6 off

1 Like

Yes, but Im in a situation where I’m trying to follow the outdoor photoperiod because I have to move them outdoors at some point in early June. So I don’t want them to go into light shock. Plus my light timer only adjust by hours so I can’t adjust it down tot the minute with is a big problem. So if I do go 20/4 should I down it a hour every 2 weeks ? Or every one week? I need to get down to 15 hours of light a day

1 Like

@Ladithief …my friend you are the best at this :wink:

1 Like

Don’t over think buddy… One thing at a time :seedling::herb::palm_tree:

1 Like

If the seeds havent sprouted it wont hurt to move them at all. Just do it quickly so the seed stays moist.

5 Likes

I was thinking that to bro… But just make sure they aren’t to deep in soil after transplant

1 Like

Just go to 15 of light to start with. It wont hurt anything. Because the shorter days at the end of summer will trigger flowering. The plant knows when the days get shorter.
If you drop it and hour a week the plant will start to flower thinking its the end of the season because its losing light hours.

3 Likes

Thank you ! That’s what I had them under the first night, then when I seen the pots where all messed up I was thinking about charging it! Will do!

1 Like

Thank you kind sir! Will do it as we speak!!!

…lol… thanks @scotty17…you all have @masony122 covered… I have been accused lately of being a tad insane with how I grow…and maybe I am…lol… sometimes because of this I stay quiet… but here I would let them pop to 2-3 inches then carefully plant into a small 2oz solo cup… carefully burying as much of the stalk as possible… let it get almost root bound then go to a 20oz solo…lol… but then I do not flower indoors except to force… everything I am doing is to get ready for my outdoor and my breeding projects…lol…

4 Likes

And technically if they havent sprouted yet then they dont need light. Unlessbthats the only heat you have.

2 Likes