Lab Testing Cannabis...Pros vs. Cons

Here in Arizona there is no requirement for lab testing cannabis before selling it. I can’t think of why anybody wouldn’t want to do this other than financial reasons. I’m also not a cultivation professional or a dispensary owner. Why are some reasons you would vs. would not test your cannabis?

4 Likes

The obvious reason ALL cannabis sold should be tested… Illegal pesticides.
Far too many “growers” have been using unregistered and quite deadly pesticides on their cannabis and it needs to stop! In fact, it should never have been started. If you can not learn how to grow without the use of deadly chemicals then you should be in another line of work. Putting peoples health at risk just to make a buck should be punishable by making the person doing it drink all the things they are putting on their plants.

5 Likes

Much as regulation drives us all nuts…California got it right on this one.

4 Likes

There are no cons…even when you look at it financially…imagine if one of your patients sent out a sample of your product and it contained illegal pesticides(edit: pesticide residues*, hopefully you wouldn’t be using illegal pesticides in the first place :p) , mold, or anything else harmful. What if they contacted a news agency about it!? If you let a product leave your doors with a patient, and one failed samples shows up, it could mean loss of customers, seizure of product, the end of your business! Financially, that’s worse than doing the testing in the first place. (I’m imagining something like the Chipotle incidents here…)

Plus, c’mon! You have a responsibility to your patients/customers and the industry! Every time a product on your shelf fails a test it’s fuel for the haters, reason for the curious folks to have second thoughts, and just a poor demonstration of ethics.

4 Likes

I’m trying to get an idea as to what would give a dispensary pause to not test. Since it is not regulated in Arizona, its up to the dispensary owner. Aside from certain ethical concerns, why wouldn’t people test?

3 Likes

That exact event actually happened here in AZ a few years back. Check this out:

THIS IS WHY WE NEED SCREENING, FOLKS:

1 Like

Wow, what a scathing portrayal of this industry. Also, very surprised that Encanto managed to shake that nasty media attention and remains in business.

1 Like

Right?!? I reiterate: This is why we need lab testing!

The only reason I can think of to not test is a bad grower who wants to sell his bad product for a quick buck.

Any business that has long term interests, be they financial or ethical, should be happy to have their products tested. Only people who just want a quick buck wouldn’t care for it.

4 Likes

I want to test my greenhouse grown phantom cookie buds cuz im sure they’re in the 24-26 range. Ive never used any pesticide, so jm not worried about that. The one in Phoenix is too expensive, i found one in Tucson thats only 50.bucks.

3 Likes

All product in Colorado must be tested for potency and contaminants.

In addition to the mandatory tests, many of our partners test for terpenes, because they then can sell their product at a higher price point to a different target consumer.

2 Likes

I don’t think testing cost is an issue for a Arizona growers or dispensary owners that made $54 million in sales in May 2018. They are afraid that their products will fail testing then they will have to fix the problem. Remember the 3 monkeys…

3 Likes

If they test and it comes back with an adverse result they have to do something about it. I honestly believe a lot of growers don’t know how to maintain a safe pest management program. I’ve seen good people do bad things either because they didn’t know any better or because they couldn’t handle loosing a million dollar crop. I rarely ever smoke anyone else’s weed

3 Likes

Make sure any product you’re buying is a lab proven to be tested for everything including pesticides and microbiology. Testing only for THC levels does not guarantee anything. Ask for those labels that labs in California And our lab in Arizona uses.

3 Likes

tlmcconn

12d

These are the key oxidizers created by our ActivePure Technology, creating zero ozone.
Our technology will kill and prevent many of your air and surface contamination problems within your grow.
Easily Installed into your HVAC system.
Talk to me, give your thoughts.

Terry McConn

2 Likes