Ladybugs for pest management

Hi, I got decimated by spider mites and just got 300 ladybugs. Before I let them loose in a 60 sq foot grow room has anyone had experience doing this? I only have 5 plants in there for now (thanks to the mighty mites!)so I was only going to put half in there for now. I have LED’s and COBs and I read the led’s blue red force the ladies for the white walls. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin

3 Likes

I would buy predator mites.

The lady birds will help but you need to glue there wings together before release.

I refrigerate the lady bugs. Spray the child lady bugs with half seven up and water. Spray tell just damp not wet or you will drown them. This will keep them from flying away. Make sure you know what the juvenile lady bug looks like they are voracious eaters and the real goal. Also know what the lady bug eggs look like.

Again preditor mites to control spider and two spot mites. All the bad mites glow under black light.

4 Likes

Gluing the wings together sounds like a fun task! The predatory mites are like 7-8 times more expensive than the lady bugs. I will see how the ladies do and try those next time since I think for each grow cycle I will add them to the standard operating procedures! Thanks for the black light tip though I am afraid to see how many I really have! I hope spencer gifts are still in business for the black light! Thanks again, Kevin

2 Likes

Preditor mites are about 10 times more effective in mite control. Over lady bugs.

May I suggest that you work up a good IPM plan.

It better to be proactive than reactive on control.

If you are really desperate start cleaning the plants with a shop vac.

2 Likes

https://extension.umd.edu/ipm/commercial-greenhouse-production/biological-control-spider-mites

There is also a mite fungal preditors that can be added. Look at organic tomato grower sites.

Here is what I use for mites https://www.hummert.com/chemicals-natural-organic/neoseiulus-fallacis-in-bottle-60103300?returnurl=%2fchemicals-natural-organic%2f%3fcount%3d75

3 Likes

One more that I have used. https://www.hummert.com/chemicals-natural-organic/phytoseiulus-persimilis-adults-in-bottle-60106300?returnurl=%2fchemicals-natural-organic%2f%3fcount%3d90

3 Likes

I use lady bugs as well… Very handy little things. I use them for my indoor, and never tried an outdoor application.

Before i set them loose, i keep them in the fridge for 24 hours, then bring them into the grow. As they get warm, they start feeding right away!:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

We used to buy ladybug 5 gallons at a shot. They keep well in a flower cooler 30 to Sixty days. We order about 6 times a year.

We glue wings on ladybugs for both indoor and outdoor production. We really just want the juveniles and they are available for purchase now. Then you don’t have to glue wings. Wing gluing works for about 4 days. Enough time for the ladybug boys and girls to make lots of baby ladybugs.

Do you think there is a support group male ladybugs? :rofl:

2 Likes

Thats pretty impressive! And honestly… quite a chore! Lol🤠

3 Likes

Ive been trying to fight spider mites with ladybug, californicus, and persimilis in small patches after week 4. They kinda help but dont quite eradicate them. the calis and persis( we call em) do a much better job at search and destroy then Cucumeris in larger infestations. We are getting them from one of my growers that has a bunch at his house. I make him suit up everyday in a tyvec suit now.
We have had much better luck with Rosemary and clove essential oil spray we made up. 15 ml of both oils and 5ml of suffrancant per gallon of water , works well.BUT, BIG BUT, test it out on your extra plants first as it may fry certain strains and weaker plants. Adjust your oils as needed.
The spray is very effective, smells nice, and is considered edible.
Good luck, I hate those little shits.

6 Likes

That is the nicest thing I can say about them. :rofl:

2 Likes

I am not sure I can unlearn the Four hours mating with a dead partner. :flushed:

1 Like

Paging Dr. Buglady at @ARBICO

3 Likes

Your language may actually be too kind given the sentiment we all share about them. I simply call them the devil.

Have you tried Galendromus?

2 Likes

Have you tried putting back cannabis extract to control spider mites?

2 Likes

Next time you would be much better off using Phytoseiulus persimilis for spider mite control. They are voracious on TSSM.

3 Likes

This is a beautiful mite and I agree voracious predator

2 Likes

I played with them in the 1990’s beautiful predator. I like that they eat eggs.

Here is a picture from Mite Predator, Galendromus occidentalis | Biological Mite Control

2 Likes