Leaves looking funky

Hey everyone I had a suspicious looking leaf in my flower room today and a few plants have all the leafs drooping towards the ground, any ideas what this is?

3 Likes

The only mistake as far as environment was one night with a low humidity.

3 Likes

Hi @codyjester

The purpling of the leaves could be due to low levels of certain nutrients, and the clawing could be due to over watering, or saturation of roots. If you can tell us more about your setup, I am sure we can get to the bottom of it.

5 Likes

If the problem continues to get worse, then most likely you have a root problem, and your roots arent absorbing water or nutrients. How is she looking today. If she stopped getting those leaves then its most likely that its your food or humidity. If your plants are always on 70% humidity and ot drops to very low humidity. That can make your leaves look like that also.

5 Likes

So my humidity sits at about 45% in my flower room and the night i had mentioned it dropped to 36.7%. I feed through a drip system and use Athena at 2.0 EC. My substrate is a 4 inch Grodan on top of a slab.

I have never encountered a nutrient lockout of any kind in the past. Can anyone tell me more about how to diagnose and prevent lockout.

3 Likes

I think I had something similar when our furnace was first used at the start of winter 2022. They recovered in a week or so and I began to keep a close eye on the RH in the house.

4 Likes

This was I walked into yesterday morning. Working from bottom up. Any more thoughts
@TheMadFlascher

7 Likes

Well let’s give this a bump. @chrisj @nacho151 @Slym3r @PreyBird1

6 Likes

It’s either light burn or nutrient problem, or possible because it is working from the bottom to the top, the buds are sucking up energy from the lower leaves to help the buds get bigger. Remember this is just my opinion!

5 Likes

All I can suggest is check your runoff. PH and ppm.

6 Likes

@codyjester, I agree with @nacho151 here…a light issue is more likely to show on the TOP of the plants…@Dforce is also correct in that checking your run-off ppm and pH will be helpful.

As @nacho151 pointed out, you’re looking at classic ‘nutrient robbing’. This is NOT uncommon occurrence at all , and once you recognize it beginning you can correct it rapidly.

What’s happening here is that bud development takes a tremendous amount of nutrient support.
If you’re not providing enough nutrient to your grow media, the plant will automatically start ‘robbing’ the nutrient from lower leaves and translocating it to the developing bud. It’s telling you, you need to ‘feed the beast’ if you want any bud quantity/quality.

You notice this happens on the lower leaves, it will progress very quickly depending on the severity of the nutrient shortage. I would advise increasing whatever nutrient program your on by 30%.
Then, as the kind Dforce pointed out, start measuring the ppm/pH of your nutrient at feeding, and checking the pH/ppm of your drainage. Basically, as long as your drainage ppm is less than your feed ppm you’re not going to face ‘lockout’. You may continue to slowly bump nutrient content until you see your drainage ppm nearing your feed ppm. If your drainage ppm does get a bit higher, you just feed water only till it comes down…

I want to point out that nutrient robbing is DISTINCTLY different than ‘fade’. Fade occurs when your buds have fully formed and the plant is entering it’s natural senescence.

11 Likes

Thank you everyone for the advice! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate being able to reach out to such a welcoming and helpful community. I will report back hopefully with some big beautiful buds forming.

10 Likes

LOL, sorry I can’t help myself…
When you master the ability of monitoring and adjusting your pH/PPM in/out balance you will be ready to grow some REAL buds! I just happen to know a guy, who knows a guy that has this crazy sh** called BBP
(BudBusterPro). :wink: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

10 Likes

BBP my favorite Voodoo Juice!

7 Likes

@codyjester
When I was growing on slabs with cubes, I discovered that not having enough runoff I wound up with heavy nutrient buildup in the slab. Had similar problems. Due to the high numbers of nutrients that I had in the slabs, it brought the pH way down 4.5 or so. I wound up running a bunch of RO water through the slabs to get the numbers for the pH up and the EC down to acceptable level. Then I started feeding a little bit lighter nutrient with more run off to remedy the problem.
Hope this helps. :+1:t3::v:t3:

8 Likes

Im my opinion these bottom leaves turning colors is very normal. Especially if you dont do much defoliation. I usually pull these bottom leaves out anyways. They aren’t doing much good at the bottom anyways.

7 Likes

Very good observation. Looking in the background behind the yellow leaves It’s green and lush plant. So you could be right. That could be just normal. :+1:t3::+1:t3::v:t3:

6 Likes

Everything is back to looking big and beautiful! Thank you everyone for the help. 4 weeks to go on these flowering gals. I also added a few other pictures of my operation. I am excited to finally have my clones popping roots by day 7 of propagation.

8 Likes

That’s so pretty :heart:

7 Likes