LED vs HPS bulb

Can someone please tell me weather to get a led board or HPS bulb for a 4*4 setup I want the cost to be minimal.

1 Like

If you want the cost to be minimal, I suggest to stick with HPS. You’re looking at almost 1k minimum.
Rapid LED is a DIY kit,
HLG 550 is around $800
The Gavita fixture I don’t know the price of but I know it’s above $1K.
The cost is upfront with led and the returns in efficiency are easier on the wallet every month.

3 Likes

I’m with @covertgrower. HPS is definitely the cheapest, a full set up with bulb can be had for about $300. Enough LED to cover that space would be at least double that price, and could definitely be more expensive than that.

2 Likes

Make sure your room can manage all the heat the hps creates first then make your mind up or you will Regret it

4 Likes

Build an LED and save money…

5 Likes

Just get LED 300 watt 3x4 Mars hydro t5 2000 has full spectrum so you don’t need two lights. Also it runs cooler so you don’t have to worry about any additional cooling

1 Like

That doesn’t cover a 4x4 in flower.

TSW 2000 QB Design Led Plant Grow Light for 3’x3’ Sunlike Spectrum with IR, Replace 400~600w HPS - Mars Hydro

• Actual Power: 310W+/ -5%@ 100–277V
  • Coverage: Veg: 4’x4’(120x120cm) ; Bloom: 3’x3’(90x90cm)
  • Compared to HPS/MH/HID: 450W
  • Average Yields: 1.5g/W
  • PPE: 2.1-- 2.35umol/J
1 Like

It dose trust me, or not…

1 Like

That is with 2 t5 2000’s in a 10’x15’ room

1 Like

I was referring to what the manufacturer stated. Looks like it does fine, I would go with what a grower says over manufacturer instructions. Any shaded areas?

2 Likes

I have 5 types of lights. HPS is cheaper. Its hotter. It cost more. But it is time tested. I have 2 nieme led boards together in 1 4x4 it was $575
The HPS is under $268 for an extrasun light.
I got mine here and im still using it.

I just grew these with that HPS i bought at growershouse and i got my tent there as a package. The best place to buy all you need for your grow.

This is the light i used. At this link
Quantum 1000W XtraSun 6 inch Air Cooled Package direct from Growers House.
I would also get a Metal haylide bulb for veg. Buy the 1000w light put the MH bulb and dim it down to 400 watts for veg. Then change the bulb back to HPS for flower and crank up the power to 1050watts works great. And this run i used only 750 watts! Works great!

2 Likes

No, I grew 2 plants in my tent

3 Likes

Are all HPS lights able to grow?

2 Likes

Sure are a proper (hortilux)bulb makes a huge difference tho but even a street light works great. But the 100$ for the hortilux hps is the best investment I can suggest after great seeds more important than great nutes imo.but they are a close third

4 Likes

Think of your light as the sun… you wouldn’t grow the best weed if it was shady all the time or cloudy…hell my most important light is my 2x23w CFL (7500k) I run in my seedling box…

4 Likes

I too am using 2 CFLs right now 50w each @Ladithief but will the be enough for my veg period?

I am running 2x23 in a small stealth box… 56w in about a 1.5square foot area…lol… as I said its for my seedlings… I run DIY LED in my veg tent…

2 Likes

If you got two or three of the fluence ray 44s it would put you right under 1k. Two or three of these with the indoor spectrum will give you decent results. Not the best. I’m using one of these in a 2x4 tent and really if I had one more it would be plenty. Im guessing 4 of them for a 4x4 tent would be the best but that puts you up right over 1k. They are about $250 a pop.

1 Like