Let's talk about women in growing

Today marks the 101st anniversary of the US senate passing the Women’s Suffrage bill. We’ve come a long way since then, but there’s still work to be done. An example of this is the disparity between the number of men and women in the cannabis space.

Why do you think that is?

What is/can be done about it?

Hopefully some of our female members will chime in here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am not sure why… I know many awesome women growers…I am not sure if it’s because they just don’t apply or it is actually an equality issue…

4 Likes

It’s a big question. The whole industry skews heavily male

2 Likes

We need a couple female responses here to see what and how they feel…

1 Like

Hmmm well,

before this can happen…

You have to know the numbers.

Are there as many women as men per thousand that actually want to be a part of the cannabis industry.

I have seen many women very “gung ho” about cannabis and working in the industry but it doesn’t mean the numbers line up.

For example: I climb cell towers for a living. The differences between the number of men working in the industry and ther number of women working in the industry I promise you makes the cannabis industry look very even.

Just because a certain field may have more of a certain gender working in it doesn’t necessarily mean that field is being spiteful towards the other gender. The real possibility stands that as a whole, sometimes one gender has a greater want to work in some industries than others.

7 Likes

I agree. I dont think it’s necessarily spite.

5 Likes

Spiteful was probably the wrong choice of words there.

3 Likes

I think I know what you mean.

3 Likes

I believe it may have to do with taboo, I know for a fact many women can and love to grow but since it is illegal in many places some women preferred following a different direction As the industry keeps growing so does the presence of women since the risk of going to prison or even demise has been lessened. Being a woman in a male dominant regulated industry is a challenge itself I couldn’t imagine how horrifying it would be for women to work without any regulation or protection Unfairly leaving them behind in the “experience” game which most grow ops require previous to employment.

4 Likes

I know there’s a great group of woman on IG! One LadyJaneGriw uses nothing but living soil she makes herself. Her page is loaded with how to videos. I could invite several from IG and bet they would love to join this group. There is a breeder named PhenoPharms whom is really good to vets. He uses the WIX app and we have a woman’s group on there. If you’d like I could invite some. Love

3 Likes

Could also be that women aren’t us rebellious as guys… there are many factors here that could play…but honestly we are guys discussing this and I know I am trying to tread lightly with my wording so as not to come off wrong… but I really feel as I guy I need a woman’s perspective on this topic… we have had none yet… so that might just say that is what the demographics are…I am a firm believer of the right person for the job… PERIOD… why should I have to an unqualified female… but I would take a qualified female in a second… and yes if the male and female are equal sorry I am going to help the demographics every time…in either direction…

3 Likes

Yeah, we can talk but can’t really know what it’s like. I’m not pointing a finger at hiring practices, I assume fewer women apply as a whole and that’s the facet of the question I’m really interested in.

But again, I don’t know and could be way off the mark. Wonder what kind of data I could get from staffing agencies…

2 Likes

This is an awesome topic and has me quite intrigued as I am equal opportunity on equal qualifications person…and are they more harassed on the job also… there are a few out there tat think it’s a man’s world… that is such an archaic belief… as I said I know women that can grow circles around many men…

3 Likes

An example of this is the disparity between the number of men and women in the cannabis space.

A very good question and I am wondering what a good answer would be. Here in southern Africa its different. Often its the women that grow and harvest the cannabis here. But its still also still a very heavily industry dominated by men to. Going to ask a female friend who knows about this kind of stuff.

4 Likes

Bring her in the topic I think @nick could fast track her in for this reason and if your vouching that is all the more reason…

1 Like

Wondering what women think… all men answering!?
Men can sometimes make it very intimidating for women.
I am a female grower. When I started legally about 10 years ago, many places to get supplies (clones, seeds, products) where not very favorable for women. Whenever I have to go to get something I would take my hubby. Automatically everyone would ask him what’s he looking for…my hubby doesn’t par-take at all in cannabis, but supports me 100%! He would say ask her…I would always get the look like she doesn’t know what she’s doing! Always having to prove yourself gets tiring.
I run a descent grow. Do all the work myself. I help a few patients that rely on me for meds .
But, in the big picture if you aren’t a strong, confidant, educated women … they will swallow you up.
Men say to me…“you do all this”? Yeeessss I do!
The same goes in big business…men get more pay for the same jobs. It is a man’s world still… maybe slowly changing. JMO :green_heart:

6 Likes

Not right at all @bobette… and I really appreciate your take on this… I was giving my few and I am very open minded as hopefully you can tell… now if you know any other women who like to reply I would love to hear their sides too… things need to be equal and as the world is saying people need to be treated the same…if you’re qualified you’re qualified… and you definitely should make the same as a man of equal qualifications and in the same position…

5 Likes

High! Lol. Sorry I have been off line for a few days but gonna try to chime in.
It could be security factor for some.
Security for grow.
Security for personal safety.
Woman can talk themselves out of doing risky business. We tend to dwell on what can go wrong. “Confidence”.
Money or knowing how to get money.

I’m sure I will think of a few more.
I am curious of all responses.

2 Likes

A females perspective

We are currently looking for property to start a business. When I call realtors and banks I get a different response than my fiancé does. I myself have noticed when we mention our plans of starting our canna-bakery people respond to me like it’s a PIPE dream. Like I just wanna play in the weed world. It’s weird. When my fiancé talks about it they take him serious. And between the two of us I have started 3 successful businesses and he has always worked for other people.

I didn’t find this to b true in the real estate world. I had a company in a very male dominated world with my ex husband and had NO issue being taken serious. People preferred to do business with me than my ex. It’s something with the cannabis industry. Men are businessmen and women are stoners.

With that said I am noticing if u can break thru to that certain level all that seems to go away and things seem to b equal. There’s my two cents for the one cent it’s worth.

5 Likes

In my eyes women are all equal you got go getters in life no matter what gender then you have the influenced… Male dominant egos are what’s controlled society as a whole… Magazines tv media always telling all of us how we should be no matter what gender… Strong minds no matter male or female… But women have a stigma brought in throughout the centuries most men and women are bred to think… It’s the bigger picture… People like jeffery Epstein and the so called elite created this

3 Likes