Let's Talk Silica!

So i’m still wet behind the ears when it comes to growing. I grow with coco coir and organic amendments like 4-4-4 all purpose and a 3-9-4 bloom from Dr. Earth. Also earthworm castings a 1 tbsn per 1 gallon of medium, for the top dress feeding. Im thinking of adding silica to the mix to help strengthen the roots, get a strong veg cyle on some autos. Does anyone use it? How do you use it? Whats the best way to use it? Thanks! :palm_tree::kissing_closed_eyes::dash::palm_tree::peace_symbol:

4 Likes

I’ve always used silica when feeding, from seedling to the last week of flower @tastynugz. It really helps your plants throughout their life cycle. A.N. Rhino Skin is a great silica product. It’s all I ever use. Tried and true my friend!
:v:

4 Likes

Looked it up, keeps the grow full organic and builds tissue to hold up those footlongs! Definitely adding to the regiment next run. Thanks for the info @Tygrow78 !

3 Likes

Nice question @tastynugz . We had a soil talk recently and silica was one of the super soil requirements, very small quantities needed but works very well. I would like to know more as well. Subbed.

3 Likes

I started using Power Si, haven’t noticed a difference but I’m only on week 1 so I guess I’ll have to be patient to see benefits

4 Likes

Dont forget growershouse.com have a wide variety of silica based products, check this video below:

https://growershouse.com/botanicare-silica-blast

6 Likes

I’m actually considering adding silica to my next coco grow as well heard it helps make plants stronger to hold bud weight just ran into an issue with that lol

3 Likes

@chrisj Do the Gn family get any discounts or deals perhaps?

2 Likes

I ran the same clone multiple times before adding Potassium Silicate mid veg, I found that the silica did infact increase stem strength and fairly quickly in aprox 1 week I also noticed the branches become more solid and less flexible. Another benefit that I noticed was when taking clones from the plant that was fed silica they were much more rigid and resisted the drooping that I had been experiencing with this cultivar during cloning. This was the only strain to droop in trays containing multiple strains. I now use potassium silicate in all my hydro grows as the nutrients I use Jack’s 3/2/1 contains no silica, and to me the results are worth the cost/benefit.

4 Likes

That’s what I use for silica. I add a teaspoon per gallon every time I feed.

1 Like

Yeah for sure. Im adding the Rhino Skin Silica on my next run!

1 Like