Little thrip problem

Hey everyone, so I’ve encountered a thrip problem wouldnt say its too bad yet. I am on day 15 of flower. I noticed it yesterday but was too late to get any sort of remedy. I took all of the girls out of the tent brpught them outside and did the old shake em like your trying to break em then inspected every leaf and stem of each plant killing any thrip or egg i saw. I then blasted the plants with compressed air to try and dislodge any that I missed.

So here’s my plan for today, and if anyone would like to chime in or elaborate please do. This is a first for me and I would really appreciate any tips or tricks or thoughts that may help.
Anyway on to THE PLAN OF ATTACK:

1. Bring all plants out of of tent and outside
  2. Shake em all again to dislodge any loose thrips
  3. Pressure wash the plants ( from a safe distance of course as to not damage the plant)
  4. Use Safers insecticidal soap on tops and bottoms of leaves and stems and in medium? Trying not to spray the flower sights.
  5. Leave plants outside for a couple hours with a fan blowing on them to help reduce moisture in the small flowers starting to form.
    6.Place safers sticky sticks in each pot.
  6. Clean tent with insecticide soap and wait to dry.
  7. Put girls back in their home.

A couple questions I have are:

I usually water with ph balanced RO water will the harsh tap water hurt them? Today is supposed to be feeding day and they need it. Should I feed before I execute my plan or wait till after so I can adjust the amount of water given based on how wet they get from the pressure washing? Or just wait and let them dry before their next watering/feeding?

Thanks everyone of you managed to read all this. Sorry for all the questions butni hate the thought of losing my girls this far along. Eapecially after just battling with temp and humidity and winning that battle.

2 Likes

I think you are on the right path to greatness. You have made a plan, written it out, now getting some feedback and then Execution…

1. I would not pressure wash the leaves or plants, but do it all manually. They are delicate. I would pressure wash the pots, growroom, walls and then wipe it down with safers soap.

2. A good idea would be to bug bomb the place while keep your ladies outside during the day in the sun doing your cleaning process.

3. During the process change your clothes and shoes when you transfer the ladies back into their clean environment.

Hope that helps and that you are able to clean your room.

Somethings to consider and less lethal, natural predators,

Harsh tap water, come on. Hey can I offer you a glass of milky water and a used sock in it for you to drink. Give you ladies the best.

Shame dont starve your ladies, feed em. Cannabis likes regular waterings, but dont let the soil get too soggy all the time. Allow it to dry about an inch from the top and then water. You dont want the roots to dry, you want them to stretch and find water ( depending how big your pots and plants are).

Treat your ladies right! Good luck and hope to see some positive progress. what you think @gargmel, @Ladithief, @PreyBird1 ? These growers know their stuff.

1 Like

I think you just gave some solid advise. And i see no need to even add to it. Chrisj knows his shit and i would listen to him anytime. Mites are really bad thrips are still bad but not like mites are early detection is key and i use these blue thrip traps. Also not sure if you can get them in canada if your up there.

1 Like

@PreyBird1 @chrisj so I was abke to get safers 3 in 1 which doesn’t list thrips on it but has the same ingredients as safers soap but also has something to help with powedery mildew which I do seem to have a bit of i also got safers sticky sticks but they only have them in yellow.
Should i be avoiding spraying the buds with this as much as possible or should I be spraying those as well incase any are hiding?

Yeah do not spray the buds. It will burn the pistils.

1 Like

@PreyBird1 ok thanks man, needless to say this is the last time I get clones from this guy. Ughhhh

2 Likes

Clones are ok to but you just need to quarantine them in a small area for 2 weeks and make sure there clean before you put them in your garden. Or else. As u can see what happens. I got my issues in some media and then i moved the plants into a big tent like an idiot. Because i didnt see them fast enough. The beginning is easy to stop them. Infestation no way once they make webbing your toast you can spray all day but they are under ther silk webs just chillin. Little bastards.

1 Like

@PreyBird1 I’m soraying now as the sun goes down. I have 3 people checking over them with me and they don’t see any either. Here’s hoping

2 Likes

Damn man full scale assault! I love it good luck my friend.

1 Like

If you can get Dr zymes and you’re all set. It’s all organic, can be used in bloom too.

Stuff is the best stuff I’ve ever used, can’t promote it enough

Packee

I see you’re in Ontario too, hard for us to get. Im on border, if/when border opens I’m having a hard time getting it too

Careful with the safers, it has sulphur in it. Will taint your buds

Packee

@Packee thanks for the heads up, I did my absolute best not to spray any buds. I’m sure I wasn’t perfect by any means but :pray:

I will have a look for the stuff you mentioned have also been trying to find somewhere to get
Trifecta Crop Control.

1 Like

Trifecta is way to damn expensive. And so is SMITE the mite. $1000 for 2.5 gallons is insane. $34.99 for 2oz wow liquid gold buddy. I dont see hiw they charge so much for this. At least smite is a little better. But not by much.
I was curious about this flying skulks nuke em.

This stuff is awesome also. I use optic folier switch if i think a plant may hermie. 10 days before i flip it and the transport and folier switch blocks the male flower production hormones.
PREVIEW
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DY612VvY7ocQ&ved=2ahUKEwi2xfekucDqAhUEG80KHbfQCzoQwqsBMAJ6BAgKEAg&usg=AOvVaw1k3Iqa7h-9muEe9uMrkfdL

@PreyBird1 on to second application of spray today. Unfortunately I’m not very optimistic. I seem to be keeping them at bay but not getting rid of them

This stuff works but take 2 weeks to take effect.

This stuff only in veg. Its the messiest stuff ive ever seen but works.

1 Like

Look for this stuff. Cheap and safe enough to use. I prefer pyrine as it breaks down fast under lights a couple hours usually. Pyganic is the brand i use.

3 Likes

This seems like a usable thread. Lots of info

3 Likes

I deal with thrips every year. Hard not to in soybean country. Cant Jack’s Organic Dead Bug work great - every time

5 Likes