Looking for a plant sitter -- mid August to Early September

Omg she’s adorable!

9 Likes

See I told you the crew would be coming! I think she looks great! Do you know if it was a bag Or bought seed? I think it looks very good for your first plant ever!

10 Likes

The friend who gave it to me is a long-time grower with quite an elaborate setup. It’s Trainwreck and I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that he grew the seed himself, but I’ll ask him.

10 Likes

Here’s what my friend replied when I asked if he’d purchased or grown the seeds for this:

“I bought seeds online about 5 years ago. Germinated one Train wreck seed in 2021 and have been cloning the same plant since. Seeds are very easy to buy online.”

I’m happy that she finally looks healthy, but she’s at least seven weeks old and others’ plants of this age look so much further along. She’s only 7 inches tall. Lights? Nutrition? Do have an idea what I should be doing for her? I planted her in Miracle Grow Organic and have since read and been told this was a bad idea. I haven’t repotted yet, awaiting my purchase of better soil. Our car’s stuck in a body shop and I haven’t been able to make the trip to get both soil and advice. I’m planning to bring the plant, my current lighting and pots, and let him help me with next steps. Hoping to be able to do that on Friday.

9 Likes

Well, if you are feeding your plants the same thing and shes getting the same amount of light as the other girls and she’s still that small. It means shes a runt. She wont grow well or bud well. You are better off cuting her down and not wasting time or nutrients on her. Every once in a while one comes along.

6 Likes

They might need to be up potted due to being root bound in that small container, just my opinion though.

8 Likes

It might be a great opportunity for you to learn a lot. Instead of culling her keep here going without fear or expectation. Make your mistakes. If she survives that’s great but the purpose of the grow shifts to developing an intuition and a “feel” for growing. Just a thought.

8 Likes

I don’t have any other plants. This is my only one and I haven’t been feeding her at all except for the food that comes in my much maligned Miracle Gro organic potting soil. I had no idea, obviously, that this is a terrible choice. Today I will be getting new soil and nutrients and will repot her. She looks way too healthy to toss out. Fingers crossed.
I just figured out what you were thinking when you suggested culling. When I wrote that other plants seem to be much further along at seven weeks, I didn’t mean other of my own plants. I just meant other plants that I see pictured online. Sorry for that confusion.

10 Likes

On Amazon they have setups for auto drip feeding set on a timer slot smaller and they tend to do a well job from others using it. It’s a timer box u set up a hose in the feed bucket and up to 15 feed points if u want can set for seconds or minutes ect for how long u wanna feed. Maybe something to scope out before u leave and get a 5 gallon bucket setup with a wavemaker inside or a bubbler and let it do it’s thing. 5 gallons for 3 weeks should be sufficient enough to make a plant live til the r back in sight of it. I’ll find the system if u want and send u the link here it was fairly cheap at like 40. Bucks or so not bad at all. Takes quarter inch air tube for the feed lines.

Kollea Reliable Automatic Watering System, Plant Self Watering System Automatic Drip Irrigation Kit with 60-Day Programmable Timer, LED Display & USB Power, Indoor Irrigation System for Potted Plants

Any kind similar like this will do the trick for up to prolly 6 plants or so

7 Likes

What kind of light r u using for the plant and do u have it in a tent. I missed that part if it was stated above

8 Likes

Thanks very much for this. It does appear that I’ll be on my own to keep my plant alive and thriving while I’m away and that will have to include an auto watering system of some kind. This one looks good and I love the price. I appreciate your taking the time to advise me of this.

8 Likes

Go get em @alicek !!!

8 Likes

Hi Mark. I don’t have a tent. And I don’t yet have an appropriate lighting set up. I’m including a link here for a light that feels like it will serve and I’d appreciate any feedback anyone might have about this. I plan to set the plant up with water, light and a small fan in a guest room closet. That can be completely dark when it needs to be. I’ve been advised to keep it vegetating while we’re gone and then plan to get it to flowering when I return. Again, all advice welcome!

7 Likes

I can’t lie I love my ac infinity setup I haven’t been growing long if you look threw my journals you will see my 3x3 an 4x4 in action an they do make 2x2 tent setups also but if your just gonna keep it in a room make sure you have a fan moving the air around especially when it’s lights on

8 Likes

MARS HYDRO 2023 New TS1000 150 Watts LED Grow Lights for Indoor Plants, Patented Reflector Dimming Daisy Chain Sunlike Full Spectrum Growing Lamps for Seedlings Veg Bloom in 3x3 Grow Tent Greenhouse https://a.co/d/1JTluW1
From my understanding these are also good lights for the money

7 Likes

Thanks for hanging in with me here, Hostile Hippie420, and the light you suggest sure appears to be a good value. Alas, I don’t currently have space for even a 2x2 tent. The closet I plan to use for this little plant while I’m away is only 22" deep so whatever light I use can’t be deeper than that and, of course, several inches less deep would be easiest to work with for installation. It’s only one plant and while I really want this to work, I can’t justify investing in a bigger/costly setup until I’ve proven to myself that I can maintain my energy and commitment to this. So far, I’m loving it, but is pretty much all-consuming! I read, I peruse amazon, I move through various conversations and groups here to see what I can learn that I didn’t even know I needed to know, and I read some more. While I don’t have a car and it’s 110 degrees outside, I especially appreciate the entertainment this is providing me, but I know myself pretty well after 78 years of living with myself, and I worry that I’ll lose my enthusiasm and end up with a garage full of expensive stuff I’ll never use again. If this little effort goes well and I can see a stretch of months when I’m NOT going to be going away anywhere and can see a grow all the way from start to finish, I may well find myself ready to invest in a real and full system. For now I feel I just have to improvise. And yes, I know I need a fan! Our car’s coming home at last so I’ll be able get out to purchase that locally.

9 Likes

Oops! I’m seeing that the measurement I was looking at when checking out the link you sent was the coverage area, not the size of the fixture itself. Its physical measurements are fine for my purposes. Thanks for your patience with me!

8 Likes

Of course this is EXACTLY what we are here for trust and believe I was in your shoes not so long ago an everyone here truly cares that’s why I say welcome to the family please don’t hesitate to ask Anything The only stupid question is the one not asked!

9 Likes

I don’t know if, when I post to my own thread, others receive notice of the post, but I’m looking for advice about lighting. I just received the KingLED 2023 2000w LED Grow Lights (there’s a picture in a message I posted up this thread) and I have hung it above my plant. Very bright!!! It has two settings – one is labeled “Veg” the other “Bloom.” My plant is vegetating and will be left in vegetative state for at least six weeks. Should I really be giving it just the veg lighting – which is four strips of blue light spread across a lot of yellow. That is (You can see a picture of the light if you scroll up to the message where I posted a photo and description.)

5 Likes

If you have a smart phone there is an app you could download to try and measure how much light your getting with the veg switch only. I can’t remember the name of it but a few members use it so someone else should be able to remember the name

5 Likes