Making some homemade seaweed tea

I collected about two bags worth of kelp and seaweed a week ago. I would like to collect alot more, but its alot of work collecting and carrying the sea weeds from the beach. I have since spread them out and they have all dried. I am thinking of fermenting a portion in water and then also bubbling another bucket with a portion in it. The rough NPK value of seaweed in general is 1.9. 0.25. 3.68, so its good for flowering and stem strength. Can you guys suggest any further amendments I could use to brew this up and improve the flowering phase. Add molasses?

How to Make Seaweed Fertilizer There is disagreement amongst gardeners about soaking or rinsing fresh seaweed to remove sea salt. Some experts suggest soaking the seaweed for about an hour and/or rinsing it. Other experts argue that the salt is minimal and rinsing removes valuable nutrients. Either way, fresh seaweed is generally dried before being tilled into garden, mixed into compost bins, laid as mulch, or made into DIY seaweed fertilizer tea or powder.

Read more at Gardening Know How: DIY Seaweed Fertilizer: Making Fertilizer Out Of Seaweed How To Make Seaweed Fertilizer - Using Seaweed As Fertilizer For Plants | Gardening Know How

4 Likes

ima smoke the sea weed…

1 Like

Hell Slym3r, tell the truth…you’d smoke coffee grounds if you could keep em in your pipe!!

2 Likes

Point of interest only. All the seaweed extract that is sold commercially is Ascophyllum nodosum. A specific species that lives in cold North Atlantic water in the North Sea and Nordic waters. It is soaked in potassium hydroxide ( very alkali) to hydrolyze the tissue. Then it is strained and dried as a concentrate. The reason for the high K content is because of the potassium hydroxide used in the process!

2 Likes