Marijuana and workplace privacy

Just wanted to share my thoughts on weed use among employees. Nowadays, more and more companies strive to drug screen their employees. I believe that this practice should not take place in normal offices (where people do not work with heavy equipment etc). Moreover, this becomes privacy invasion. Most of the people I know even refer to drug detox techniques to be sure they pass a test. What do you think?

2 Likes

Welcome to the Growers Network.

You can spark the conversation up. Add to the community. We love to hear your input.

3 Likes

You sir have struck a nerve! Too bad I’m a 1 finger guy, I could bore you to death (or piss you off). So I’ll just say…nobody cares about the 42 drug tests you pass,…it’s that ONE that you dont!

I’ll stick with the content of there character!

7 Likes

Exactly, man! Just waiting for recreational marijuana to become legal all over in US to stop spending my bucks on home test kits and other stupid stuff I’d never buy in other case

5 Likes

If a heavy machine operator has an accident and if it causes injury to person or property and he/she subsequently tests positive for ANYTHING that could be remotely linked to job performance… Let’s just say that millions and millions of dollars and the reputation of a business organization (Company, Corp, LLC, etc.) could be at stake. The easiest way to mitigate that is to fire anyone before they put you in that position. The organization would be saving money by hiring somebody younger, smarter, and without the baggage. Keeps things nice and tidy for The Man and keeps cannabis users out of the mix.

Am I close?

12 Likes

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head squarely.
:v:

7 Likes

Thankful I’m self employed.

7 Likes

I work for a major corp here in Las Vegas. Nevada is a legal state. They do pre drug test but not for marijuana only hard drugs. Some large companys dont drug test at all. This being said if anything goes wrong during ur shift and there is a problem the first thing thats gonna be done is a drug test

7 Likes

Fortunately, if you are on a prescribed medical cannabis by a Doctor or registered P.A., you have the right to refuse because of HIPPA laws. Legally, it’s none of their business what medical stuff you do.
I’d love to see that one get fought in court.

Welcome @alexny420, good topic.

5 Likes

But is it prescribed in other states? Here in Missouri, it’s only a recommendation. Thats where they get us here.

5 Likes

My employees get a first smoke test run. If you can work high, you can smoke. If not, no smoke. Lol

Hard drug users are hired extremely rarely.

9 Likes

I don’t think people should smoke on the job depending on the job. I’m not to sure if it’s an invasion of privacy though.

If you’re a gardener for example having a joint while you mow the lawn or plant some flowers :bouquet: would be ok with me. The people employing these people don’t really need to know if their employee is high if they are doing their job in a good timely manner, not spending to long doing fuck all because they are stoned.

If you’re operating crane on a construction site :building_construction: or you’re a legal professional employed to find some law to get a client the right result smoking may be out until after work. It can definitely hinder your performance for some tasks. The people employing these people might actually be doing the right thing by testing to ensure their customers or users or Colleagues are safe or getting a good service.

That being said I don’t think recreational weed smokers should be fired if the “fail” a drug test for weed and it hasn’t effected their performance in work. Or endangered anyone.

There’s a lot of factors to take in to consideration and they are the same as wether you’d allow a person who is pissed off ale :beer: work they are both intoxicated you can’t deny weed can slow you down, cloud the mind a bit and maybe impair your judgement.

Best way to find out is to start a business and employ drug users see how that goes :joy:

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: i will smoke and do edibles AT NIGHT AT HOME. drug users come with drug user friends and then its all bad. i will throw you out on the street if i catch u doing drugs on any of my properties. dang i am so a hypocrite tired of cleaning crap up.

4 Likes

A great topic and certainly going to garner a lot of opinions. I myself see a lot of equivalency with alcohol usage. There’s a time and place for it! RESPONIBLE people are just that.
I also believe that the penalty for texting while driving should be the same as DUI!!!
Employers have very little discretion under the law, and face crippling consequences…
I also believe it is in the cannabis industries interest to support responsible usage…
Would really like to see a " For adult consumption only, USE RESPONSIBLY" on each package of bud, edibles, and extracts…come on, if we want total legalization …we as a industry HAVE to promote safe usage. IMHO

3 Likes

9x out of 10 a drug test refusal results in automatic… something…u refuse to blow on road side you automatically get charged with DUI’s now… you can fight it but your going in… i garuntee in fine print on HIPPA it says …you may hold your privacy but refusal may result in automatic termination of enployment… also… hippa dosent protect you from impaired related accidents at a work place… dui is dui in a back hoe… a mail truck or a fork lift…(in a boat it’s a BUI …besides the point)…
U dui and fuck something up weather u disclose your on marijuana or not it’s a problem… osha’s regulations superceded hippa in accidents insurance needs to know where line in the sand is draw to be able to work there case… and pay less of course…its an insurance things… someone’s impaired during an accident the insurance is off the hook… and that’s the employer’s responsibility to make sure no impairment was there… I would assume you accidentally transfer 10,000,000 instead of 100,000 because your hand is shaky… not an oops… oh because you were on msrijuana… see how insurance can use that to weasel there ways out of pay out

3 Likes

Yeah, unfortunately, I have to agree, 1 Cor 15:33, “Do not be decieved;“Bad company ruins good morals.””
Druggies hang with druggies. It’s not a good scene. But I do not consider a responsible user to be a druggie. There is a difference.

3 Likes

Yeah, most of our food and construction industry is filled with these folks. You can not get away from them.

2 Likes

I’d like to see a per capita statistic of United states population… to ppl prescribed sumsort of psychoactive controlled substance… weed all the way through methadone… and see what a company’s odds of finding someone who’s NOT CURRENTYL prescribed a narcotic

2 Likes

i would hire pot heads before a drunk any day…

3 Likes