Mass hermaphroditism in multiple strains that have never had the problem before

I am looking for input from experienced commercial growers.
I have been growing cannabis for 19 years and 6 of those years on a commercial scale.
I am a botanist and horticulturalist by training. At our farm we try to take a scientific approach to problem solving. This problem is big, has come on fast and requires as much information gatherning as possible.
I have encountered many hermaphrodite issues over the years, but this one is different.
We are having a sudden surge of male flowers growing on strains that have never done this before.
I am growing in 6 large indoor flower rooms (1200sqft each) Our farm has been using these rooms for over 1 year now quite sucessfully. We grow 12 strains in each room and cycle through 48 strains in total. We grow in climate controlled rooms under mixed DEHPS and CMH lighting in a hybrid of rockwool and coir media. Nutrients are Jacks 5-12-26, calcium nitrate, monopotasium phosphate and potasium sulfate. Run-to-waste pressure compensated drip irrigation. We monitor pH and EC of feed, effluent and media regulary. All trays have on-table ducting that blows filtered air up through the canopy.
In the past 8 weeks we have had a shockingly huge number of plants herm on us.
And when I say herm, I don’t mean stress induced bananas forming on the top flowers at the late stage of flower. No, this is happening on the underside of the canopy separate from the female inflorescence. It’s also happening at weeks 3-5 to plants growing in seemingly great environmental conditions. I typically grow batches of 100 plants per strain (1 plant/sqft). Over the past 8 weeks I have had to remove plants from 3 different rooms totaling over 500 plants.
These male flowers look similar to hermaphrodites I would cull from a pheno hunt. These are not pheno hunt plants. 50-75% of the plants from a strain batch will develope male flowers within a week timeframe. So we have to kill the batch. Additionally I have found dozens more plants in these rooms doing the same thing, but only a few plants in the batch will do it.
The first time we saw a batch herm it was with a strain that was on its first production run. We thought we had just missed the trait in the pheno hunt process. Then came batch after batch of strains we have been growing for years with no issue. One OG Kush strain I have been growing for almost 10 years had 100 of 100 plants grow male flowers. Ive seen this cut develope a few bananas in stressful conditions in late flower, but this was week 4 and all of them with male flowers under the canopy.
So this is a pretty big problem.
Checked all the usual things. Heat stress, light stress, light leaks, lights turning on at night. Nutrient stress. Nothing obvious.
About half way into this 8 week period we start to see some possible nutrient deficiencies. At first it looks like Nitrogen and maybe a little Calcium. We bump up those two elements in the feed but no response from the plants. The yellowing continues along with brown splotches that look almost like pesticide burn.
So we have come up with a hypothesis on the yellowing and hermaphrodite issue. If anyone has heard of hermaphrodite induction for this reason I would love to hear about it, because I have not heard of this happening.

CHLORINE TOXICITY: The most significant change we have seen in the time-frame of this issue is the Corona-virus. We have started bleaching walls, the edges of trays, doors and table handles every day to keep workers safe from the virus. Historically we have been cleaning under canopy table-ducting between crops with isopropy alcohol. Since isopropyl alcohol has become scarce we began doing our post harvest table-duct cleaning with bleach instead. The idea is this daily addition of bleach from wiping and possible bleach residue from the duct being blown constantly on the underside of the canopy could be causing stress leading to hermaphrodite problems. The location of the male flowers on the plant fits well with this idea. We don’t have any evidence that chlorine causes hermaphrodites, but we know it could be causing stress, and stress can cause male flowers to form. Also possible that bleach contains metal impurities such as silver, a known cause of hermaphrodism. The possible Nitrogen and Calcium deficiencies we have been seeing have not responded to increases in these nutrients as we would have expected. As the issue has continued it looks less like N and Ca deficiencies. What it does look like is chlorine toxicity. See pics below.

We cannot say definitively that this is the problem. We have stopped using bleach in the rooms and we have removed any duct that has been bleached. We have wiped all bleached surfaces and now sanitize with hydrogen peroxide. If this is the problem, we do not know if this could be a delayed reaction and we might still see this issue for a little while.

So now that I have probably bored half of you into reading something else, I ask for input from those who powered through.

Has anyone heard of this problem being caused by chlorine?

Has anyone had this happen to plants that have no history of herming?

I am open to any possible area of discussion relating to this problem.

Other factors that could play into discussion: This building was once a metal fabrication shop on half and a cabinet manufacturer on the other half. We have tested product for heavy metals and never found anything unusual. We use compressed CO2 instead of CO2 generators so there is no combustion in the building.

If you have any ideas I am all ears.

Thanks for your participation

8 Likes

@hydrogeezer I couldn’t recommend a particular meter, I’m just kind of thinking my way through the problem.

If you want to follow the ethylene trail; is there any chance air from a curing/drying room could be getting into the growing rooms?

2 Likes

You have no idea how good it makes me feel to hear this! Sorry you had to deal with this issue. Glad it went away. Many thanks for your input.

3 Likes

Hello. I believe you have answered your own question. That is, if you are absolutely certain that the ONLY change to your op is wiping your grow area down with bleach when the reversals began. Sorry I couldn’t offer any technical explanation. Sometimes the glaringly obvious escapes us. I know a frenchman who while traveling in Asia got a haircut and let the barber shave his face/neck prior to arriving in France. He developed an infection on his neck and asked his french doctor what could have caused it. The doctor asked him one question only: What had he done differently prior to the infection? His reply was getting a shave at a barbershop in Asia. The doctor’s answer: there’s the source of your infection.

5 Likes

Thanks for the input @jimjax. I hope you are right and I did answer my own question. If that is the case then I have already fixed it. To say that it is the only thing that has changed would be not entirely accurate. It is the only major thing that has changed. Outside temps have increased which works our HVAC a little harder leading to minor changes in temperature and humidity. Irrigation frequency and nutrient feed strenghths have changed in small ways as plants have started to feed a little heavier. These changes are not ourside what I have worked with in the past.

3 Likes

That’s a great anecdote, @Jimjax, and I agree that the problem could be as a result of the chlorine treatment.

@hydrogeezer to what % did you dilute the bleach before cleaning/sanitizing? A quick search will tell you all of the different things chlorine bleach will react with to produce noxious gases, some of which are other cleaning products like hydrogen peroxide, and some of which are pH adjusters like phosphoric acid.

Do you have a gas analyzer? I’d be curious to know what the levels of ethylene are in your rooms experiencing the mass hermaphroditism.

9 Likes

Hi @devjyarn

We were applying a bleach/water solutions at 1200ppm chlorine. First we used HDX germicidal bleach from Home Depot (sodium hypochlorite 10%) until everyone started to buy up all the bleach due to COVID-19. Then we made a solution at the same chlorine strength from powdered calcium hypochlotite.
I use potassium bicarbonate as a pH buffer. No other pH adjusters are used.
Bleach would not be mixed with other cleaners or used on same surfaces as H2O2, at least not intentionally.
Ethylene is an interesing idea. We have floated that possibility. However there is no combustion in the building of any kind. Everything is electric and CO2 is compressed gas. There is less traffic our area than before the Coronavirus. Unless a particular strain offgassed an unusually high amount of it. Might be possible. Any thoughts on what type gas analyzer might be useful? I like the idea of checking that.
Thanks for your input.

4 Likes

Sounds like an easy thing to check out. Suggestion appreciated.

I think you solved your own problem. I had this same issue come up. Drove me crazy we stopped using bleach switched to h2o2. Hasn’t happened since

6 Likes

Hello @sali78619

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear from someone! Makes me feel like I am not totally crazy! Were you getting male flowers on the underside of canopy? Earlier in flower?
I’ve never read any research on this happening in the presence of chlorine. Of course there is not a lot of peer reviewed research on our favorite plant.

5 Likes

Yes that is exactly what was happening. Male flowers on underside of canopy on strains that I grew for years with no hermaphroditic tendencies.

3 Likes