Meet Ralph, a Depressed Little Plant

Hey yall, if anyone wants to help me cheer up Ralph, I’d appreciate any ideas. He is growing very slowly and is undersized for his three weeks of age. His soil kept getting bone dry and he was dark green and curling up, so I finally flushed his soil. He perked up a bit but now is droopy and his leaves look rubbery and dry. He started in my cold basement (about 60 degrees F) for the first two weeks of life until I brought in a heater. Soil is organic but a little rough I think.

Any tips about him or his grow environment much appreciated. First time grower here.

2 Likes

Hi fellow newbie here :wave:, I’d say the lighting might not be adequate enough. What light / how far away is it?

1 Like

King 1000W LED, about 3.5 feet above the plant’s, on Veg setting, plus the CFL you see in the pics.

1 Like

Your soil looks dry and so does the cup, at least the cup should show signs of moisture, maybe.

2 Likes

@bigsali said it. too dry. i hate peat pots. get that plant out of that peat pot into a splo cup garden poy fabric pot whatever u choose. water in a circle away from the stem so it has to search for water and flushing a plant that small is not ideal

3 Likes

The soil is actually damp in that photo. I water it in a circle around the stem 2-3 times a day.

1 Like

around the stem or away from the stem? 2 or 3 times a day? can you look up damping off? might be the problem

3 Likes

Looks to me that your nutes are too strong. And I’ve never seen a totally dark blue light like that either.

1 Like

I haven’t put any nutrients in yet. It’s King LED 1000W, one of the top 10 recommended LED lights in most grower guides. The veg setting is a blue light, its actually brighter than the picture shows.

1 Like

Pptrsha I think you have pinpointed the issue with damping off. As I said, the plant was cold for the first two weeks and these peat pots have poor drainage, plus Ralph’s stem is droopy af unless I prop it up with the soil, so I think he may be done for.

3 Likes

Might just be several small problems all adding up. Some of the commercial mixes are too hot nute wise for seedlings. I hope Ralph survives !!

2 Likes