My 1st run with my RDWC scrogg setup

I finally finished my 1st attempt switching to a rdwc setup. It was really sketchy a few times, and I wasn’t sure my ladies would make it through to the end. But alot of time and tons of dedication and we pulled through.

I started with 5 GDP beans from ILGM. Lost 2 of them because I was having some issues with fungus nagts from some root riot plugs I bought repackaged. At 1 point I had got my tent all set up to just run 1 healthy plant. The center one. But I got the other 2 to pull through, suprisingly?
I thank Voodoo Juice for that! So I ran all Advanced Nutrients Sensi grow and bloom. 1 of there organics was suggested to me, which was a mistake and it clogged my air stones after 2 reservoir changes. So at day 19 of bloom my ph started dipping, and had to start adding ph up for the 1st time. After a few days of this I finally popped my buckets to see and smell my roots dying. My airflow was very limited for a couple weeks. So I flushed my system and increased my Voodoo Juice and Sensizym, my beneficial microbes and enzymes. Since I let my ph stay down in the 5.5 for so long I started getting a cal mag deficiencie. My middle plant was nice and strong the whole time. It was the other 2 that were really effected by both issues.
This was also my 1st attempt at using a scrogg setup. IAny ideas on how to improve it next time?20191019_144831|375x500
Well it was definitely a learning experience for me, and the next runs will go a little smoother. I’ve incorporated extra checks into my daily routine to try and catch any problems in the future a whole lot sooner.
All we can ever do is learn from our mistakes and try and do it better the next time.
Eww!!!
I feel very lucky I pulled these lady’s through to the end looking at these roots now.
I’m going to pull my air stones up from the bottom of my buckets during all my reservoir changes from now on. Plus pop my lids every other day to see my air bubbles. That was 1 reason I hung my screen instead of fastening it to my tent frame. It allows me a little room to get into my buckets for a quick glance.

7 Likes

I debated about actually using 3 buckets in this small 24"×48"×70" tent. But our state laws allow us to have up to 4 plants flowering at once. Hence the scrogg setup to control my space better. Still have lots of room for improvement on how to use it. May need to install a trellis net next time also.

3 Likes

Damn good thing you pulled them when you did! Im almost ready to try a DWC. Myself i have a 3 gallon buckets and 4 sites set up.

5 Likes

I’ve heard great things about deep water culture!! :facepunch:

3 Likes

It’s how I have been cloning…

2 Likes

I didn’t take any cuttings this time but I am going to on my next plants. I have looked into making a cloning bucket that’s more like a airoponic setup. I’m very curious about cloning with dwc! How do you do it, and how are your success rates?

1 Like

This method is similair kratkys non circulation hydroponic method.

2 Likes

I just finished drying my GDP for 10 days at 51%RH and 66f. Didn’t get much purple out these plants but the flowers have a nice sweet berry and smooth spicey smell when squeezed. I will flush a few more days , but it still smokes good and it knocks me back in my seat. I harvested with 30% amber and 70% cloudy trichomes. Very pleased with the 173 gm, especially since I let my root rot problem hit me the 2nd week of flower. I’ve found 7 small white undeveloped seeds in some of the lower fluffy buds so far. I’m pretty sure I know which plant they came from. It seemed to have got more stressed than the other 2 plants did.
If I wasnt running the healthy microbes and enzymes I would have lost the plants completely. That I’m sure of! Going to trim a little better and cure 60 gm, then the rest I make into RSO for myself and my Ps.

3 Likes

My nugs are coming along real nice in smell and taste. Curing 60 grams

2 Likes

I finally got my solvent to make my rso. I get the best return using 16 oz of solvent to 28 g of flower. So I only did 2 oz out of the 4 that I put aside for my medicine. I have a gallon of EOX on the way.

I start out decarbing my flower 1st because my rice cooker only gets up to 150f.

Decarbed and ready to wash

This is my test to make sure all my solvent is evaporated. It has to solidify under the fan before it can drop in my hand. If it doesn’t drop off the spatula I know it’s done.
So I ended up pulling out about 6.5 grams of oil from each oz of flower.
Great return! I can usually squeeze 4 grams out of an oz from the dispensaries, 4.5 if I’m lucky.
This is the best medicine out there! It’s unaffordable to so many because it cost $60/gram.

2 Likes

@piper I really appreciate your advice on solvents! I’ve been patiently waiting for this EOX to show up instead of using the ipa like in the past. I’ll never use that again, and this company has a pretty good deal on gallons. Especially if you buy in bulk. I like this extraction method but will definitely be trying others in the future.

1 Like

Hmm, wrong person, the only solvents I do are Labatt & Jack Daniel’s :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My bad @Ladithief is who I had the conversation with.

3 Likes