Need help with identifying problems

Hey everybody😁my cousin nd i started our first grow and seem to have run into a little bump in the road. Our plants are taking forever to go and are showing worrying signs. We are growing them under a 400w mh ( 57cm from plants) with good ventilation. We started them under 80w cool white cfl and after a week in veg moved them under mh. We are growing them in a mix of seedling mix soil, coco coir and vermiculite. Watering with ph 6.7 water when ever weight nears dry. Our grow space is just over 3ft squared and 6ft tall.

We have 2x hollands hope, 2x mexican sativa, and 1 x bag seed.

Thx all and any help or advice will be much appreciated, and hope the images show clear.

3 Likes

Maybe nute def wats ur ppms?

1 Like

You need a lot of perlite with that soil, I don’t like the looks of that soil, you should invest in better soil if you can and transplant

What are your temps and humidity ?

It does look like your over watering, I see your stem turning purple slightly which is probably a mag deficiency, cal-mag is great/must to have.

You can try foiler spraying with a tablespoon of epson salts per gal of water, try that once a day for a week and see if anything improves.

I would also wait and let others chime in, in the mean time have a read

@kwasimodo and Welcome to the network

3 Likes

Thx so much for the advice, i have done some reading up on the soil i am using and it doesnt seem too great, but choices are very limited unless i order online and being lock down it takes a minute or two (couple of weeks) but might opt for organic next time. Temps range between 22-28C. It is winter at the moment so keeping lights on at night to combat cold. Humidity is around 40 but have added a few bowls of water with sponges to help with that. Thx again, will be trying foiler spray and will be transplanting with a cooler soil, coco and vermiculite, no perlite around😣 great article link. Have a great day/night

2 Likes

I am not so sure, still trying to order an ec metre online as they arent readily available at gardening stores around here🙈

1 Like

I’d never seen that. Good to know.

2 Likes

That’s too high for coco. Sorry, don’t remember off the top of my head what you should use, but I do know that’s too high.

Also, @piper’s suggestion of cal/mag is spot on for coco, it leeches calcium, from what I understand about it.

2 Likes

Thx for the help, come to think of it, we never took ph of coco into account as we had mixed it with soil, haha, so we learn. So would i still need to lower ph to 6 if i have a 50% soil mix? Really gutted about quality of the soil. Do u think a watering of blackstrap molasses would help the soil?? @pomeroymc. @piper @dankbudz

1 Like

Focus soil pH 5.3-5.5pH for all canna regardless of medium type veg-flower entire time grow is easy.
Mag, iron, manganese to name a few, don’t absorb very well or at all at 6.5pH or higher with cannabis and softwood like tomato.
If 1 nutrient is missing or locked out, the plant is and will be junk sorry to disrespect you. I’m being honest when canna doesn’t have what needs and environment is super important now. VPD something else to focus on.

Adjust your soil pH into the 5’s and add more perlite, vermiculite, rice hauls, granular biochar more oxygen in that that medium or dirt. I barely see Vermiculite?

The HID light is likely stressing it out. I would raise the light at least 30" or go back to CFU before they burn up.

It also looks under watered or over watered because yellow leaves this early = all add up.

Adjusting your water pH doesn’t fix soil pH or help soil pH come down.
Not unless your in DWC, Rockwool, or a dead medium like clay pebbles.
Synthetic nutrients contain lime and lime will raises soil pH over time and reduce uptake.

If you want to learn how to safely reduce soil pH and increase nutrient uptake and save money, we here to help.
Welcome to Grower’s Network.
Kyle M.

2 Likes

Thx @FarmerK. Def think it has to be ph then as the largest contributer. Will def be lower watering ph to start but how would i lower ph of my soil? Would adding peat moss do the trick? No disrespect taken at all, say it how it is then there is no misunderstanding, haha. I have repotted into larger pots with a cooler soil, coco and more vermiculite and placed back under cfl until they are strong again.will add pics shortly. I have tons of bag seed at home so im germinating a few extras at a time for experimenting with light distances and nutes, might have a better starting point then for proper seeds. I am here to learn so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thx for the welcoming

1 Like

Just a little update, have transplanted with a bit more coco and vermiculite to avoid the poor soil. Have mixed a quarter dose of nutes and foliar spray with epsom salts. Will be feeding more regularly because of coco and gonna try source some cal.mag somewhere. Will keep all updated

1 Like

Soinds good but let me tell you our opinion at Key to Life about CalMag. CalMag (calcium nitrate) is the :japanese_goblin: straight up!
CalMag is a scam in the Industry in our opinion.
Like a Hallmark Holiday.
CalMag can make N lockout worse.
Be very careful what type of Calcium you use.
Look at every label and read the ingrediants what are you feeding your plants?

If this info bothers anyone or wants to tell me I’m wrong, please DM me. A Grow Specialst from Key to Life and I will get on the phone/Zoom and educate what type of Calcium to use.
Kyle M

1 Like