New Grow - Experiments with growing medium

I germinated two BlueBerry Muffins and a Chokolope (shoutout to @nacho151 !) to run an experiment with different mediums.
When all three germinated on September 14, I put them into small pots filled with a 50/50 mixture of mushroom compost and sphagnum peat moss with a little perlite added for aeration. All three were watered with RO water mixed with Cal-Mag, Stresscoat + (to remove chloramine), and Dakine420’s Grow nutrient.
Today, I transplanted them into their final containers and medium.

The medium for the Chokolope and one BlueBerry Muffin (in the plastic bag) is:
Base Mixture: 1/3 mushroom compost, 1/3 sphagnum peat moss, 1/3 perlite.
Additionals: 1/2 cup neem seed meal, 1 cup worm castings, 1/4 cup kelp meal, 2/3 cup chicken manure.

The medium for the other BlueBerry Muffin is:
Base Mixture: 1/3 buffered coco coir, 1/3 mushroom compost, 1/3 perlite.
Additionals: 1/2 cup neem seed meal, 1 cup worm castings, 1/4 cup bat guano, 1/4 cup kelp meal, 2/3 cup chicken manure.
I also used a 5-gallon, non-woven fabric container to see if the increased aeration provided by the fabric makes a discernable difference from the 5-gallon plastic bags.

I applied a very small amount of Mycorrhizal Fungi Root Enhancer to the base of the plant’s rootball when I transplanted it.

I will continue using Cal-Mag, StressCoat+, and Dakine420’s nutrients but will reduce the amount of nutrients used each feeding due to the additionals in the mediums.

Nutrients will be applied as a foliar spray and by jug until the flowering phase begins when only the jug will be used so as to avoid the possibility of mold growth.

Barley Straw will be used as a top dress.

As a newbie hobbyist, this is the first time I have gone into this degree of detail. I am anxious to see the differences this grow produces vs. my others using only mushroom compost, sphagnum peat moss, and perlite.

9 Likes

Time for the branch benders for the Blueberry Muffin in the fabric bag. This one is growmuch faster than the other Muffin!
Is this one ready to top? And I heard that once a plant is topped, its clone won’t flower. Is that true?

6 Likes

Clones taken from a topped plant will flower.

6 Likes

Does it appear to you to be ready to top?

5 Likes

I usually top mine when it hits 12 inches tall because of vertical space. After topping it should really get big.

5 Likes

Here they are about one month after germination.
The Blueberry Muffin in the fabric pot is growing much faster than the one in plastic. The Chocolope is the smallest of the three, but that may just be its genetics.
I have begun putting branch benders on both of the Muffins. The barley straw topping is doing a good job of keeping moisture (not too much) on the surface. It also has a few grass seeds in it which should be beneficial.
I have topped the Fabric Pot Muffin and will be topping the other Muffin in a week or so. The Chocolope needs more time before topping.

6 Likes

They are looking really good!

5 Likes

Looking great @ArtVandalay , so you have topped and bent your ladies. Looking forward to seeing the outcome. Happy growing.

4 Likes

Topped the Chocolope today! It’s center stalk is very thick and healthy. It joined the tops of the two Blueberry Muffins that were topped a few days ago.
At just over a month since germination, I am seeing significantly better results with the grow medium I concocted. The only drawback is the rather pungent odor in the runoff caused by the chicken manure! Whoa. But, it goes away when I dump out the runoff tray.
The White Widow seedling is also growing well in the aerogarden pod. I was concerned because, while using tweezers to place it in the pod, the outer shell popped off. That seedling is going into a hydroponic setup in my other tent. That will be my first hydroponics attempt. Shoutout to @nacho151 for the hydro tips and tricks.

5 Likes

Nice id take the lol sprout out of light spray it down with water to soften the top and use a tooth pick and get the skin off it to not smother it. The quicker she opens the better she will be

4 Likes