New member hoping to gain some old techniques

Glad to be here, would really like to progress my understanding and ability in the greenhouse. I seem to have good consistent success outside with my fruit and veggie gardens, but this year especially have had a really hard/discouraging time in the gh.
To keep it simple-
last years formula: Root 707(high porosity bagged potting mix) in 45’s and 65’s with clones from Dark Hart. Result: Plants got huge and yielded more than I was hoping.

This years’ formula: I really wanted to do better this year and give it my all despite the previous years’ success. I doubled the pot size to 100 gallon, and thought “I’ll mix high porosity soil with hand sifted outdoor wood and veggie compost to diversify my flora”. This took hours per pot and I was very optimistic using this RICH soil even though I had my apprehensions about potential contaminants. I added some good amendments and small lava for added drainage and called it good. Into these, I transplanted my 2Gal 3MO plants(from seed) june 1st. They grew very slowly and some didn’t sex until the end of july, so I ended up cutting 2 large males and planting the backups(still in small pots :frowning: ). Lost a plant to the top dressing getting physically hot(while out of town) and burning all the leaves. I have less than my limit at this point and the plants are less than half of what they were last year which is disappointing plus the pest issues seem constant. My neighbors love shining lights on my greenhouse randomly at night, so I have that concern too. This growing year has just not been that fun thus far.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum there’s alot of great people here that have a large wealth of knowledge and always willing to help

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, and the girls look good and full. What is the issue with the other two in the green house?

Thanks! Just to be sure, are you saying the ones in the last photo look good? My post isn’t the clearest. If you’re asking about the other ones not pictured, they are a little smaller, and further along. I’ll get a picture up tomorrow.

Ok and if I know what kind of system are you running

I’m not being a dick but the picture of the plants that look like Charlie Brown Christmas trees where are all the fan leaves that’s what I wanna know

The first photo is from last year. The last photo are this years’ biggest. You’re noticing a lack of fan leaves because I had to remove thrip damage last month. It’s fine, I don’t take it personally, I’m pretty disappointed myself. At this point, if I have enough to scrape by until next season, I’ll be happy but I don’t have high hopes.

Just soil with hand watering in my gh. All organic pelletized fertilizer and organic amendments.

the others

1 Like

It’s all about keeping your hands on a pen and composition book. If you have color scheme so you can make a icon key for yourself. Did you have any questions that I may have missed? LMK

Where are these photos? All you did different was the dirt?

Hey, I took them down. The view count to reply count ratio was my main reason for this, plus it bums me out to look at them. Essentially, the dirt and container size were the only things I changed. Same amendments, same fertilizer, same greenhouse. So many variables with the soil, especially bringing it inside from outdoors(bugs, fungus). I knew this was a risk at the time but thought I could deal with it. And I probably could have if it was just that…
The biggest issue was the lack of aeration. The clay content was just too high. Even though clay contains mostly silica and metal oxides which the plant uses, too much of it can lead to compacted soil, especially in a huge pot.
Hindsight is a bitch, and I am not loving life right now. Can’t work, and this was the bulk of what I had going for me

1 Like