New Member, old grower

Hey there.
I’m from Ontario Canada and started growing indoors when it became legal a couple of years ago.
I have been growing bonsai trees for 35years and smoking bud a few years longer than that, so now that i am finally able to bring my 2 hobbies together life is good.
I also have a lot of work experience in climate control and hvac which comes in handy.
I have 2 grow tents, 3’x4’. one is for veg and one for flowering. they stay on a permanent light cycle of 19/5 and 11/13 in a custom mix of potting soil, coco coir and perlite.
i have a perpetual system where i have one plant ready for harvest every 3-5 weeks.
I am completely off the grid as far as my consumption goes. the only thing i buy are growing supplies and seeds sometimes.
I am into most types of extractions. i have a heat press for rosin, bubble bags for wet hash and trim-bins for dry sift, i use a distiller on low temps and a vacuum chamber to make iso honey oil and i have a closed column blast extractor for BHO.
I came to this forum just looking to share what ive learned and learn from the experience of others in the hobby.

15 Likes

Welcome to GN! You will enjoy it here!

2 Likes

Hi @walley , welcome to GN and nice introduction. Love learning and sharing on here. We have a whole section dedicated to Hash and Extractions. One of my favorite topics below:

Great that you are offgrid, would love to know more about your setup.

2 Likes

How you do all that off grid

4 Likes

I’m willing to bet he has like a large hamster wheel and he puts either the kids in it or maybe some hamsters when they need electricity. A big ol generator wheel like. Just a guess though… Ive been wrong before but the force is strong with this one.
Anyways I’ll pull up a lawn chair and watch this one out, welcome to GN and all that jazz mate. Sounds like some good stuff… Plus I really like hamster wheels…

3 Likes

I should clarify what i meant by being “off-grid as far as my consumption goes”…
i don’t mean that i am living in the hills and creating my own power (Yet!)
what i should have said was that my herbal consumption is self sustaining. I smoke every day but i haven’t bought any bud or concentrates for about 3years. I guess most people here can say the same thing so it’s no big deal. considering what i used to spend on the black market a few years ago, that saves me more than i spend on power anyways so it kind of cancels itself out right?
my wife sure wishes that i generated my own electricity though!

3 Likes

Dang it man… I wanted to see your hamster wheel! looks like I’m off grid too then. Whodda thunk it! Altho my grow lights do add a Lil somin somin to my power bill.
How about some pics man… Show us what your working with, some dank a Doo if you will, lil smoke a rooni, the Cheebah, some Mary drain the pockets - not for walleye! Welcome to the site btw Wall-E.

2 Likes

i’m a grower, not a shower! (Ladys)… is my usual line. but I will take some pics of my setup etc this weekend and post them.
I used to send pics to friends and documented some of my training techniques, but i have a company cell phone and don’t like to keep those pics around for too long.

I started off with hand-me-down seeds and a clone from a friend. once i figured out my system and the equipment to extract i started trying out seeds from online suppliers.
right now i am growing a big God Bud outside and some Torontonian Cookies indoors. I got a clone of the cookies but could not find much info about the strain but it is my most potent thc so far. I can smoke 4 other strains back to back and still feel a buzz above the rest when the Torontonian comes out!
I also have Poison skunk and Gorilla glue which will be coming up next followed by Fruity Pebbles and BC Mango.

when i first started growing, i tried out all of my bonsai techniques and did some LST, clip and grow, tie downs and wires etc. i even put my clone pots into a bucket of sand so i could tilt and rotate it to make them grow in the “bent raft style”.
I found that simply topping them 2 or 3 times is just as good for yield and takes a lot less effort.
I use a scogg net for support but a true sea of green is not for me because I don’t veg and flower in the same tent. when I move a plant to the flower tent it is game-on at that point because I usually have another plant in there that is 4 weeks in already. i just keep cycling them in and out and the light cycles stay the same. I do 11/13 flowering and 19/5 veg. I know most people still do 12/12 flowering but after i read about a scientific study that was done where they found that 11/13 ended up with the same yield but a shorter flowering time i decided to try it and found it to be true.
I grow what I call medium sized plants in 5gallon fabric pots, flowering 2 at a time in a 3x4 tent so the max size per plant is 3’x2’x5’high.
I use Growneer tents. both veg and flower tents are the 3x4 2in1 with the shelves on one side and removable divider. I don’t use the dividers but i use a shelf in the veg tent for my clones and seedlings.
the flower tent has a Mars Hydro TSL2000 and a 4ft Sunblaster led strip to boost the backside. the veg tent has a blurple Philzon and 2 small Spiderfarmer sf300s over the shelves.
I am a big fan of Mars Hydro. i have run this light for 2years straight and its been great and the plants love it. the main thing that it has that I do not see on other lights is that it has 6ft cords on the drivers so they can be mounted outside the tent. it takes most of the heat away with them.
for airflow, I have a main 8inch inline fan that exhausts straight outside. I have a 6inch exhaust from the flower tent and a 4inch from the veg tent that both connect to the main exhaust. plus I have a 6inch intake fan with speed control on the flower tent and 2- 4inch intake fans on the veg tent, one with speed control.
with this setup, i can fine tune adjust the pressure in the tents so the walls puff out just slightly and if any one fan stops working the airflow will not. I can also turn off the main exhaust and open a vent so that it recycles the air in the colder weather.
all this is in my garage attached to my house and i have ducted in a line from my furnace to get some of the heating/cooling from the house as well as a portable dehumidifier/heater/fan.

1 Like

So what your basically saying is you don’t have a hamster like wheel… LMAO. I’ll get off the wheel thing now. Yup sounds like you been around man. Couple cats in here use a mars hydro and seem happy as well. I was t sure if you were soil or not? You do the living soil or anything special or what soil are you using? I totally understand the work phone thing. Ofcourse back when I did the company phone thing I didn’t give an ef what ppl said about sending pics and texting. My thinking was it was not easy for work to just get my pics or text conversations of my phone for the hell of it. I can’t imagine just because they are nosy and wanna check would be a sufficient reason to go through the trouble. If I was in an accident or gave them good reason maybe. Anyways that was my thinking plus I just didn’t care. I was head tech, younger and untouchable right…lol that was a job I went out with a bang…great story. Told them my van was at the end of my street with all my shit in it after 8 years. My wife was pissed :rage:. Changed my vvoicemail to say thanks for calling the shittiest company in the world who don’t give an ef about their employees. LoL bunch more too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Good times.
I just had to boot a tranny planny out of my room. That sucks. Odd too I have 2 of the same strain and just the one out of 6 other plants as well went herm. My sexually challenged girlboy…

1 Like

I did manage to find a pic of the first plant that i grew in my tents.
i will still take some new stuff this weekend as promised.
i actually started it before i had my tents and nursed it along for about 4 months along side my bonsai until i got my equipment.
It was God Bud strain grown from seed and I laid the pot on it’s side for the first month of it’s life or more to make a bend in the trunk as close to the ground as possible.
in bonsai they call it Raft style. my intention was to make it as short as possible while remaining stable where all of the branches get equal light and nutrients.
I did have to pin it to the ground through a lot of the grow because it wanted to rise like an erection if i set it free. once it was in full flower and stopped vegging it settled down. no other support was necessary for branches.
I even kept the stump and hung it on my wall like an antler. I told my son it was from a hemp monster that i took down on a hunting trip.

p.s. i grow in soil. i do a mix of potting soil, extra perlite and coco coir. peat too if i can get it.

3 Likes