Non-woven nursery bags for autos

I normally grow only photos but I have been gifted several strains of autos I would like to plant in my outdoor planter. I know it is recommended to start autos in their forever home due to transplanting autos causing issues. My question is can I start them in non-wove nursery bags and drop those in my outdor planter once they get a bit of growth on them? Pros? Cons?

8 Likes

:thinking: I just saw this exact same comment somewhere else… :joy:
I’ll be watching the answers on this one, both sides. I don’t have much experience with auto flowers. None of them have been real good. But I am still trying. :v:t3:

7 Likes

Yeah, I posted on another forum also. I’m a firm believer that the more heads the better. Do they still call pot users heads? LOL.

6 Likes

:joy::joy: I haven’t heard that term in a long time. I agree with you as far as looking in multiple places. I’ve actually had someone give me shit for it before For doing exactly that. I wanted so bad to tell him what to do with it but I think Not responding was the right thing to do. It seems everybody thought he was an ass. :+1:t3:

8 Likes

I do not engage with idiots either. Best way to handle them.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t, I would just put them in a Dixie cup and then transplant them. Those non woven bags have not been kind to me, they make them get root balls and wad up. I did one grow with them and when I saw what the roots looked like when finished I will never use them again. Just my experience.

Marty

7 Likes

I started some photos in those bags but before putting into larger containers I slit the bag in several places so there would be no resistance when then roots expanded. Seemed to work well.

6 Likes

Those non woven bags suck! I used to use them and they choke the plants roots. Its very hard for them to get through the bags. So no i do not recommend them! I have like 300 laying around. Been trying to ise them up in the garden but they really suck!

6 Likes

U can do transplants but try and get it a little sooner than u would a photo. If the root ball will stay together then i transplant it autos have to be transplanted a little sooner as to not hit that flower stage too early. @not2sureyet is awesome auto grower and can lead u in the right path.

2 Likes

Yeah you can do transplants, but don’t know about those bags. Just use pots. I have done it indoor but I fully agree with @Mark0427, was writing something similar, you don’t want them to get rootbound like a photoperiod :

3 Likes