OlyBoy's binder clip SOG technique (please read disclaimer)

Here’s how I train using topping, LST, binder clips, pipe cleaners, and slight defoliation.

[Disclaimer: This works for me. It might not work for you. Please don’t yell at me if it doesn’t work for you. I’m only putting this here for me. If you hae any questions, please feel free to leave a comment.]

First, I waited until my plants had reached their 6th node. By this time, the lower branches were an inch or two long.

SS1

I topped the plant between the 3rd and 4th nodes (blue line, not red). That gave me 6 branches to nurture. I used aloe over the cut to avoid bad stuff getting in the cut.

Inked3 node_LI

I squeezed and gently crushed the branches to get them to lay down and grow horizontally. I placed 6 binder clips that I had laying around the top of the fabric pot. When the longer branches got long enough, I hooked a pipe cleaner to a binder clip and gently started pulling the end of the branches down.

cut and pipe

Soon, all six branches were either hooked to a pipe cleaner, or had been laced through all of the binder clips. This squeezing, crushing, bending, and guiding the branches takes a couple of weeks. I’ve broken a few branches. Some were saved and some were lost. I’ve got some idea of what will bend and what it’ll take to break.

cut and pipe2

Eventually, all branches were laced through a binder clip.

Here’s a close up of how each branch was laced.

One plant took FOREVER for the last two branches to get long enough to be laced. And when they do get long enough, there should be at least one node (pair of fan leaves) between the binder clip and the new growth.

cut and pipe5

As you can see, I defoliate lightly along the way. Sometimes, I probably defoliate a little reckless. I defoliate to make it easier for me to water/feed my plants.

When the plants cooperate with what I’ve done, I should have an even canopy height. We all know that doesn’t happen and we have to improvise, torture, and do bad things to our babies (@mudman is the worst). I had to do this because this girl had three branches growing WAY faster than the other branches.

cut and pipe6

At this point, these plants are 6 weeks since being transplanted to their big-girl pots. They’ve been showing their sex for a couple weeks. And since I’ve got a nice, even canopy… I’m going to flip them to 12/12. Flip whenever you want to, I’m flipping at this point because I’m keeping my plans small-ish.

cut and pipe7

If you’ve got any questions, ask away.

11 Likes

I also want to note that this tutorial makes it look easier than it is.

I was able to cherry pick my pictures from a crapton of pictures… of two plants… over a period of 6 weeks. I painted with broad strokes just to make a long story short. And it’s still not short.

I don’t do it this way because it’s easy. I do it this way because I don’t like to work hard.

5 Likes

That’s cool shit. When you top them do you clone the half of the plant you cut off or just toss them?

2 Likes

There are times I really wish this forum had a laugh react like Facebook. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Can I ask why do all that high stress training?.. does increase yield?.. keep them shorter?

2 Likes

I tossed the tops this time. my indoor growing space is very limited. I would have cloned them, but I promised myself that I’d only grow one plant this cycle. And I’ve got two and a half. lol!

3 Likes

Exactly! I’m not looking for as high a yield as I normally would. There’s only six colas on each plant. I’m literally growing in the same closet as I keep my clothes. I am aiming for low growing plants that I can control. I don’t allow myself a lot of room.

At this point in the game, all I do is water/feed, defoliate, and raise their lights. The hard stuff is done.

3 Likes

Same here… bro in a 2x2x4 in my closet my inlines and ducting is hidden lol… always done all natural with supercropping as needed

3 Likes

Here’s a where I am trying to clone the top half of a plant that I topped.

and here is where they are today.

12/10

2 Likes

Right on looking good. Thanks for the tag

2 Likes

And you know that I tag you because I think you’re the best. I had never seen someone twist and bend and torture their plants like I saw you do last spring. lol! :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

Aaaaaaaaaawwww… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smile:

I like my girls willing to try weird stuff… :laughing:

2 Likes

Speaking of:

I should have a good Kim Chi update coming soon. She’s way behind on training and getting unruly. AND she’s getting closer and closer to flip.

3 Likes

Hi @OlyBoy.

Your growing is looking awesome and love the training of your girls.

And you know that I tag you because I think you’re the best. I had never seen someone twist and bend and torture their plants like I saw you do last spring. lol!

What is quite funny is one of the biggest cannabis book publishers ( Cannabis Grow Bible, Breeders Bible and more ) based in Cali who have been printing books for decades also publishes a books on SandM, like their latest title Two Knotty Boys back in the ropes. Now we know why.

http://www.greencandypress.com/sandmindex.html

5 Likes

Ha haha! That’s awesome!

1 Like

The Seattle Seahawks may have won, but they still are pissing me off.

Go Hawks!

At their best, they are unpredictable. But they way they have played the last month, I’m starting to consider it “inconsistent at best”.

1 Like

okay. my rant is over.

1 Like

@1sttimegrower i guess I can tag you here too. Here’s what the binder clips are for.

2 Likes