Opinions on Biochar?

What are your opinions on Biochar? Is it worth it to put it in my super soil? I would like to make my own so just really wanna know if it’s worth the hassle. It seems to be the more I read as it also can hold nutrients and water with bacteria benefits.

5 Likes

I have also did alot of reading on it. Making it, No thank you. Its cheap enough. Work Smarter, Not Harder. I have also added it to my super soil for the first time, for the next 6 babies to be planted out. Soil is still resting.

4 Likes

Unless you have a farm. Making your own bio char, and super soil is a pain and super expensive. I have my list for a super soil mix. While great. It needs a lot of ingredients. It does allow you tone a lazy grower. In fact its recommend.
My over opinion is its easier to just buy them both.

4 Likes

My parents own a small cattle business here in Oregon so we live a farm with 15 acres with chickens, horses, cows and goats. i have access to fertilizer and compost as i just started a worm compost so that’s the idea behind the super soil i have made soils before with bought ingredients, its just kinda cool to source your own and do a full circle with no waste. It is probably better to buy biochar though since homemade stoves are not as efficient as industrial ones. the process also seems tedious to get set up so no thanks lol. Thank you for your input!

5 Likes

I mix my soil from scratch. Each bag at a time :grin:
Then I mix and let my soil stand (rest). It gives the fungi and bacterial actions time to start.

4 Likes

Thats proper farming and what farming should be. Just use as much resource as possible. i was lucky enough to have a guy on the farm renting from me and he was hired to make biochar on an industrial scale a couple kilo’s away. I think it did make the world of difference to soil, I dont have access to him or the material anymore. But we chop our own wood here, burn it and use the left overs for soil, pot ash. Its the best I can i can do, else its a mission.

3 Likes

This is my first time using it, I bought it.

Everything I’ve read says it’s great.

3 Likes

Just googled Biochar, and it seems to me that it’s just charcoal? @MK3_Pharms
A lot of benefits are definitely added, and I may do this going forward in some of my soil.

2 Likes

Basically yes, there is a global bio char plan being formulated to lower greenhouse gasses. Pretty good stuff. I don’t bother with it. But still I gave it thumbs up

3 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks for the link, I’ll check that out right now. (Slow day at work lol)

2 Likes

Yes it’s An ingredient in the living soil recipe I was given

Packee

5 Likes

I had a company mix 3 yards of my recipe and drive it 3.5 hours to deliver it… it was expensive AF but it out performs anything I have ever bought from a store or seen anywhere else…every person that sees a plant grown in it can’t believe how fast they grow…lol… my clone respond amazingly fast when I transfer to it… and yes it has bio-char in it… and yes @MK3_Pharms is correct… for me it’s not worth doing myself… I would pay them again for it any day…

5 Likes