Organic Hydro

I’ve been told stay away from organic nutrients when using a flood and drain system. Reasons being nutrients being heavy and not mixing well and excessive salt buildup.
Thoughts???

2 Likes

Organic nutes won’t totally dissolve in water. Purely hydroponic nutes will. There will be a buildup that could cause problems, but you can take care and clean your system every few weeks or months if you’re determined to use organic nutes.

1 Like

I would most likely be changing the reservoir every two weeks as the feeding schedule changes. I also thought a second or larger reservoir pump my help.

@heath you’ll have a bunch of scum and buildup on your flood table and in your reservoir that you’ll have to clean. It’s a bit more involved than doing a reservoir change every two weeks if you go organic.

2 Likes

Well that just sucks. :slightly_frowning_face:
Oh well what can ya do…

Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Perhaps some organic materials are high in sodium content. A thorough analysis of the material (s) should be done by a qualified laboratory. Our aged steer manure is certified organic and low in sodium. Another issue may be complete dissolution of the material in water. We use our material in a hydroponic microgreens system for the production of herbs and vegetables. We have few issues other than a regular cleaning of reservoirs. Another issue might be iron toxicity. Our material is high in iron and in some plants and flowers it can affect the plant. We mitgate this with additional magnesium. A simple check of pH on a regular basis solves that problem. We aren’t allowed to grow cannabis in Idaho so I can’t tell you how hydroponic organic will work for the plant. We use 1 pound of the material to produce 3 pounds of seed bed material using plain soil. We add organic chicken manure to improve nitrogen levels. When we blend it for hydro we use one pound to one gallon of water and mix in a blender.

Some of the people that use our product for cannabis are on this forum. If you’d like to try some let us know. idacalorganics@gmail.com www.idacalorganics.com

2 Likes