Outdoor growers: What are your solutions for flying pests?

Talking about grasshoppers, crickets, that sort of thing. How do you prevent them from being problems?

2 Likes

Tesla coils! You know, from C&C Red Alert. No, but seriously I would like to hear how people are defending against these and other flying pests. @mastergrowers

3 Likes

Thurcide. Works well as a preventative. Use in Veg.

3 Likes

Used to sell a product called Nolo bait to outdoor Rose growers. Worked good. Like a product Bt

David Marshall

MorningStar Grower Services

4 Likes

Encouraging predators by not spraying broad spectrum insecticides. I haven’t found anything to be a problem other than russet mites. Leafhoppers, cucumber beetles, spider mites, thrips, gnats, etc all seem to live in balance with ladybugs, parasitic wasps, predator mites, lacewings, etc. Don’t get me wrong, there is some plant damage, but it is always a passing issue. Pests move in, feed for a bit, and then predators follow and kill the pests, it is a continuous cycle. I only release ladybugs and lacewings. Unfortunately, russet mites are a different ballgame. I plan to do prevention with some mid veg sulfur (which will kill beneficial mites in its wake), and then add some swirski mites. :crossed_fingers: Overall, the ecosystem tends to remain balanced for most native pests.

I also plan to intercrop with wildflowers next year to provide a tastier food source for pests, and attract more predators. I think this will help maintain a reservoir of predator mites during the sulfur spraying.

2 Likes

Nick got it!
BT works best for those larger chewing insects.
Thuricide, Xentari, Dipel, Monterey, etcetcetc

theres like 10000 BT products out there, mix that up with PFR or Ancora and you shouldnt see many grasshoppers anywhere near you

1 Like

Lol, I miss C&C Red Alert. Fun game.

1 Like

I still set up with two screens and two PS1’s and battle against my brother at least a couple times a year and drink Surge. LOL. 90’s throw back days are fun.

3 Likes

ant maps all day :smiley:

3 Likes

I grow my seedlings indoors until 6-7" high before transplanting which seems to help. Outdoors, my biggest problem is leaf miners which are oblivious to anything but banned insecticides. So I’ve reverted to the old yellow sticky cards to catch their parents in the flying stage and hopefully before they lay their eggs in the leaves. Not perfect but damage is greatly reduced.

5 Likes

try giving the plants a spray down of something like Botanigard to create a barrier for larve before you set them outside.
You can also release Diglyphus isaea into your outdoor growing space. they are parasitoid wasps that typically target leafminer eggs and larvae.

4 Likes

You sir deserve a gold star!

4 Likes

off topic but still pretty important:

4 Likes

For grasshopper I love Nolo bait.

4 Likes

For leafminer there is an excellent nematode also. Lots of tomato growers us it.

4 Likes

Dan,

We use to use sulfur both indoor and outdoor.

Indoors we would sublime the sulfur on the crops. Works well to control not only mites but a number of fungi, powdery mildew, Botritis, and surprisingly phytophria (Late blight)

Outdoors when the daytime temperature where starting to get excessive and the humidity would be high.

3 Likes

Ack, EA is doing it. I suspect there will be lots of microtransactions.

3 Likes

Let your graphics card handle number crunching.

You want to see wild graphics look an some of the CUDA Nvidia. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes