Peat Moss based mixes vs Coco based mixes

I did an experiment between Peat Moss based potting mix ( Aurora 707 ) and Coco/Perlite mix (Royal Gold ) . The expectations were that the coco medium will dry much faster and the peat moss based medium will hold much more water . Here is what i got :

1. I fill 5 inch containers with dry medium from each mix , the result was expected the Peat Moss based pot was heavier : Coco - 539g , Peat Moss - 692g; 153 grams heavier .
  2. I fully saturate them with water : Coco 949g, Peat Moss 1167g; The water capacity of the Coco was 410g versus 475g of the Peat Moss; Its interested per gram Coco mix holds more water (0.761 per G vs 0.686) then Peat Moss . But we care more about the volume , so its not wrong when we say Peat Moss holds more water ,but its not so drastic !
  3. I left them on sun so they can dry after two days i got this results : Coco 612g vs Peat Moss 804g , or the Coco lost 333g vs Peat Moss 363g; actually the Peat Moss lost more water per volume , but not per gram ( Coco 0.625g vs Peat Moss 0.524g ). Conclusion there is not a big difference as i thought , actually surprising results that Coco hold more water per gram, and that Peat Moss losing more water in total ! Your thoughts ?! Coco or Peat Moss base mix ?
8 Likes

Look st it like this . Manageable filers for a grow medium. What has more nutrients value ? Carbon to nitrogen ratio? Holding capacity? Nutrients availablilty abd water management.
That’s all u need either for

Coco you manage the sodium . Use carbon base with organic acid chelation consistency on low and slow feed. In clean coco clean off clothes . Ez off hands . A block is so much more good filler as a grower you can manage with nutrients and water if you know what you are doing. Microbes and the digestion in cooking . Carbon to nitrogen ratio moving (metabolism) building strong roots more shoots. And roots can breathe better. Doesn’t evr turn muck . I sell use and love GAPS coco coir Omri . Ez light

Peat a good filler . Solid . Lil nutrient value but value carbon source . Takes more microbes to break it down equals more Money. Builds soil holding capacity but not near a consistent as coco . Solid over all good and I like lambert peat as a filler w carbon but not too much nutrients you can’t control and will turn into mucky black layer

That’s just from my work

4 Likes

Just my observation and opinion. I’m not entirely sure just the way I perceive a ecosystem that produces strong roots and is a stable home with oxygen. Ultimately over we want strong roots and a lot of em. Stronger plant have strong roots. Oxygen is most important to root zone . Coco allows more oxygen into the root system at same time keeping it moist enough also.
Peat muck out .

4 Likes

If it was me, I’d use a base of peat layered above with coco. You get breathability as well as nutrient retention
The roots would be well-hydrated without drowning them. Just maintain an efficient amount of water.

3 Likes

Our group uses both components in mix production. Ultimately, growers grow plants. The substrate is an anchoring system for roots, holds nutrients and water for availability to the plant, allows nutrient and oxygen exchange, and can be used to bring active ingredients to a root system as a carrier (ex. mycorrhizae, biofungicide). The key is consistency in the components. Ask your manufacturer to provide details as to growing media specifications. Also be sure your supplier is involved with documented, sustainable resource management (yes, peatlands can and should be restored). If coco coir is involved ask the provider how they navigate EC issues and what they do for another resource involved: their labor force.

3 Likes

2 Likes