Personal Bloom Competition: LED vs. HPS

For whatever reason I’ve found myself with seven 22 week clones. I had been slowly moving them over so I could start a nice harvest rotation but they’re just getting too big–now over 5 feet. I currently find myself blessed with two tents of equal size, one with an LED and the other an HPS.

So I split the clones up and will begin comparing the two tents and their progress in bloom. I’m looking forward to seeing any differences between the two lights.

Any predictions? They’ve been vegging for the past 5 weeks under the LED. Before that they were vegging under two 150 watt HPS starter lights. So half will switch to HPS and the other half will stay in the LED.

6 Likes

Starting at 22 weeks and THEN going into bloom! Those are going to be trees!
I cant wait to see the progress!
I predicted the LED plants will he shorter with bigger top flowers VS the HPS plants will stretch and have more bottom foliage.

5 Likes

Not knowing the specific type of HPS, LED, growing environment and other veritable… my guess is the HPS will be better in every way.

I’ve used LED for veg and moved them in to HPS, the only thing I would suggest is dimming the HPS and let them transition bumping it up every couple days. If your transformer is not dimmable adjust the distance from the light to lower the intensity when you first transition from LED to HPS.

3 Likes

This is timely! I’m considering switching to LEDs when I start up indoor again this fall.

3 Likes

Can you keep your temps subdued to the proper range with the two HPS lights? If you can mitigate your heat and maintain similar constant conditions in both grow environments, your HPS plants will likely yield more on the lower branches of the canopy, while the LED’s will likely produce tighter, more compact buds with higher testing cannabinoid/terpene content.

What wattage is your LED?

1 Like

I would like to see an HVAC cost comparison. That would be some interesting data.

2 Likes

Hi Dan,

could you please provide

• the size of your tents
  • the output and typ of your lights

thanks

Christoph

2 Likes

Hi @BenMGC,

would you like to test our HASHCROPTER :wink:

cheers

Christoph

3 Likes

Hey @cschubert,

Thanks for the offer, but I think it might be overkill for my home grow operation.

2 Likes

Are you able to tune down the wattage on your LED to match the wattage output of your HPS (ie 300 watts)?

If so, it would offer a great deal of validity your experiment.

1 Like

I’ll check dimmability and change it tonight then. I’m going to be very creative in my tying down due to their already extended height. I’m in love with using large fuzzy pipe cleaner for tie-downs.

I’ll keep updating this as I grow along :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice! We’re all excited to see your progress. Take many pictures! Good luck!

2 Likes

Hey,

LED tent 40x40x80 inches
MARS Hyrdro
Max Pwr: 900W
Pwr Cons: 440W+ - 5%

HPS tent 39x39x80 inches
Fusion Bright 400W Electronic Ballast

2 Likes

Don’t be afraid to top and prun. By cutting the dominant leader the plant will shift auxins to the other tops.

3 Likes

Don’t forget to stop and smell the flowers.:smiley:

2 Likes

They’ve been cropped a few times now. But would it stress them to do it 3 days into flowering?

2 Likes

Definitely :slight_smile:

1 Like

It takes about 10-14 day to transition to flower and the plant can put on as much 25% in height in that time. I usually make the tough choices on which branches I will keep and which ones to top. in my experience the plant will focus its efforts on the remaining bud sites the dominant buds are larger and no popcorn buds. I pinch any buds that I think will not perform or will be more of a hassle to trim than it’s worth.
I don’t know if it stresses the plant but all stress is not bad especially for plant who’s only goal is reproduction. Stress can cause the plant to produce more Trichomes. Trichomes are how the plant catches pollen for reproduction.
This would be a great topic… does anyone stress their plants to encourage a better response.

3 Likes