Pistols orange overnight

Zkittlez strain beginning of week 5 flower. I added nutes last night per fox farm soil feeding chart. The pistols were bright white when I added nutes at first light on. I also gave her a light misting of neem oil foliage spray for those pesky gnats. When I checked just before lights out the pistols are all turning orange witching that 12 hour light period. Using Mars hydro 2000 tsw at 14” over tops. Is this normal? Or did I burn it with lights, nutes? What should I do now?

5 Likes

Yeah you should never neem or mist pistils they will burn instantly. The same as if you touched them like brusing them. They will continue to stay red and new green ones will form. Never spray water or treatments onto budding plants! Now you see what happens. Ive done it also were all learning together this is why we all hang out here. If your getting gnats your over watering and you need yellow sticky traps to catch the flying adults because they wiil lay more eggs. Leave the yellow sticks at soil level.

10 Likes

Ok no misting flowers! Thank you. I have yellow sticky traps (3) catching adults, I also just sprinkled diatomaceous earth on soil. I sprayed neem on soil before I dusted with DE. I thought I was overwatering but I stick finger in soil and it’s dry to 2nd knuckle. I am using 7g fabric pots, and fox farm ocean soil. I figured the soil just dried really fast. Oh and northeast here and it’s hot and humid atm. Tent has intake/exhaust vented outside. I disconnected the intake so it would pull a/c into tent for cooling, from room it’s in. worked perfectly! It was also rapid, could that contribute to stressing her and making her hermie? That’s what I was mostly worried about.

Ok so the orange hairs? Will or should I do anything to help? Will it recover from this? This plant has been so extremely healthy through every stage so far. I topped twice. I trained flat as I could but I really don’t love the bungee style screen I think I will make my own with some PVC and twine so it’s rigid. The bungee stretches so the plant having good stems just pushes thru it.

3 Likes

A few things:

Don’t use neem oil in flowering, makes the buds taste bad
Never spray with lights on - can burn up your plants, do any spraying at lights off
Use Mosquito Bits to kill the larvae in the soil, breaking the life cycle of the fungus gnats (yellow sticky traps are good to reduce adult population, the DE will help with the surface crawlers but need to kill the larvae in the soil to really get rid of them).

I would take the girls you sprayed with neem to the shower or tub and spray them down heavily with water to get rid of any neem oil from the buds - give them a nice shower and when dry put back under the lights, hopefully will get the neem taste out of the buds.

9 Likes

Ok so can I take the plant out when lights go on tonite at 8pm and go directly to shower? I’ve never even thought about something like this. I’m not sure how to even go about that project. Won’t that totally stress her out? What about the light intensity change during this operation? Oh boy lots of questions. Is it possible to take a spray bottle and go in now at lights out and spray each top bud really well till dripping?

3 Likes

That would definitely be an option as long as you rinse them off well enough to give them the “shower” they need. I don’t think you actually have to take them in the shower with you. But hey that’s a good place to wash your lettuce :joy:

3 Likes

Lol ok so warm water in sprayer and soak those buds good. “Shower” them at night? Or day?

1 Like

Mosquito dunk is in rain barrel where I take water from to water plants. That’s not enough? I thought that was going to “clean” rain water for me.

1 Like

So I soaked them really good with warm water 2 hour before lights on. It wasn’t easy in the dark but I was able to feel my way around the tops. Then I left tent open with dehumidifier on high and a fan blowing across the plant. This must have done a good job cuz that nasty neem oil smell went away and flowers are showing new growth on top. Yay!

I wouldn’t have been able to figure this out without y’all! Thanks!

3 Likes

Outdoor plants get a shower every time it rains, not a problem now and then but would not do it too late in flowering where it can increase chances of mold and bud rot.

Should be.

2 Likes

i did put my plants in the shower one time. i brought a plant in the room with spider mites. 3 weeks from harvest. i nuked them. i was not going to lose one plant. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

I’m new to growing, do spider mites get indoor onky plants? What should I be on the lookout for?

I concur… never spray budding plants.

4 Likes

I’ve had gnats so thick you would breath them in and nothing got rid them completely except shutting down and starting over with all soil and plants. Never spray budding plants with anything including water. The gnats will continue because they have laid eggs in your soil. As mentioned use sticky paper and lightly spray the stems, top soil, pans and floor. You can also lightly vacuum the top soil the next day, try this a couple times a week. Hope this helps…

1 Like

I have a 1/8” layer of diatomaceous earth on soil. I thought that would work but it’s been a week now. They are covering sticky traps. Little basterds. I was trying to be as organic as possible but now im ready to blast soil with something stronger. Any recommendations?

So for gnats I put about a cup of diatomaceous earth on the top soil. When I watered it it became clumpy but after 3 days when it was time to water again the top was dry so I just used a fork and mixed DE thru the top 1.5” of soil and a few yellow stickies on a stake and never saw gnats again. The yellow sticky traps were completely covered in adults. But DE is my go to from this day forward!

2 Likes