Pot Mums 🤔

Any one thought about growing cannabis like the short day plant it is? We tend to think of them like tomatos. But, they are not tomatos.

They are a lot more like growing this Ball seed Garden Mum guide

Or

Try this nice tool from our government Virtual Grower 3.1 Virtual Grower USDA
Read the manual.

Fill you space so you get 52 weeks of production! 52 mums.
Set your lighting
Pick a solid wall greenhouse
Set your electric
Set your heat source for you zip code.
Pick your lights

Pick chrysanthemum, florist
You have a schedule of “pot” mums
6.5 turns of space. At 18 inches on center.

Now tell me how many stems you can produce in a greenhouse 100 x 100 ft. @ 80% utilization? at 6.5

You can also use a calculator.

100 ft x 100 ft = 10,000 Square feet
10,000 sqft x 6.5 turns of space = 65,000 sqft of work area
80% utilization * 65000 sqft = 52,000 square feet of grow for a year.
52000 / (1.5 ft x 1.5 ft) = 23,111 plants
Plant weight of 300 grams fresh weight * 23,111 = 6,933,300 grams per year fresh weight.

6,933,300 Grams = 6933.3 Kilograms. Fresh weight.
What is the dry percent dry weight @Farmer_Dan, @Growernick, @fdousty?

From the voices in my head as a cut mum grower.

Ethan

5 Likes

Roughly 10% usable dry weight conversion is my average, this is outdoor with a lot of stem (70% water, 15% stem, 5% waste leaf). Highest was 14%, lowest was 7%. Indoor/greenhouse with smaller plants, up to 20%, depending on cultivar. Dense, short flower time, indica dominate cultivars would be best in this scenario, imo.

3 Likes

Why an indica?

Dan 10% of 693 kilos dry wieght?
Or .69 kilo per sqft. Is that good or bad in your opinion?

3 Likes

They tend to be shorter and bushier plants, with denser flowers. Just coming at it from a yield standpoint. My 75% sativas do well but growth habit in a confined space as you describe could cause some crowding issues, it would also decrease the number of turns (11-12 weeks for my most sativa dominate varieties). With 6.5 turns, it would be worth testing the waters with some sativa dominate cultivars. Afterall, “variety’s the very spice of life, that gives it all its flavour.” - William Cowper

4 Likes

I think that is 693kg/10,000sqft or 0.0693, or 69.3g/sqft/year, which I would call excellent. What if you hit 140g/sqft/year? :scream: My outdoor this year was 43g/sqft/year, and I am shooting for 56g/sqft/year, this year.

5 Likes

Grow them like pot mums 8 inch pots 18 inch cenerts and if you space 3 times with 5 touches you can added 36.25 % space improvement to the number I gave you. Or a straight 95.1 grams per square foot year and more like 7 turns of space. So that’s another 6% or about 108 grams per square foot year. Us a polyploid and double the number. 200 grams dry weight plus or minus 5%.

I can also calculate the fixed cost buy location that hit Duluth on the head with a concrete bunker disign. I peg my old haunt and my fixed cost of opening the doors is 23.2 cents per sqft per week. Could quite figure the water part. Can’t decide if my pot mums plant will us more or less water than mums.

We need a small dense leaf verity to start with. Do you have any contenders?

Like 4 verities to work with. If we again use the chrysanthemum as a analog short day plant. The books say on seed genetic 3.5 years to a pure seed line and 3 months for a polyploidy. After that if you try a fancy back breeding with the hope of 1 fertile Triploid in 10,000 we could do it in about 2.2 years. TC for plugging. VG for plugging? Or seed for plugs. Need about 2000 sqft of propigation space with TC or seed. More if full vegetative of TC to vg for virus control.

I think I have figured out what virus I am seeing Aster yellows is reported in Hemp along with two other viruses I have to look up. One of the virus russet mites transmit. I don’t know much about.

From the voices in my head
Ethan

3 Likes

Look at this https://www.hindawi.com/journals/tswj/2014/254867/

2 Likes

everyone in here should watch this for a good visual… slight variant described in feeding but great visual to a low touch greenhouse management… lowest labor value will almost always have lowest total cost.

3 Likes

Brilliant, @Farmer_Dan, @FarmerK, @fdousty, @nick, @Growernick and @neville.
I want this inside.

From the voices in my head
Ethan

2 Likes

The ROI on cannabis grown this way. 10 Oz stems at harvest. 8 weeks. :thinking:

1 Like

Found some more data. This is a spray mum not a single flower type. But, see the pattern?

Longer crop time type but look

Chrysanthemums irrigated 6 and 8 times/day had higher leaf dry weight, stem dry weight, and total dry weight than those irrigated 4 times/day as shown in Table 8. Schuch et al. [17] reported that chrysanthemums grown with high rates of irrigation produced higher stem dry weight than those obtained with lower irrigation frequency while root dry weight did not differ between irrigation frequencies. Chrysanthemum irrigated 8 times/day produced the highest flower dry weight. For total dry weight, plants irrigated 6 and 8 times/day were significantly higher than those irrigated 4 times/day by a factor of 32% and 23%. Katsoulas et al. [18] also founded that increasing irrigation frequency increased total dry mass of rose.

From the voices in my head Ethan :grimacing::thinking:

2 Likes