Pot Size for Next Grow

Right now I have my first grow with 2 plants in 10 gallon pots. My reasoning behind the large pots is that legally we can grow 8 plants maximum in Minnesota with 4 in vegetative and 4 in flower and I wanted to maximize yield for each plant.

Now that I upgraded to an 8x4 tent and am currently looking at upgrading lights I am trying to decide on pot size for the next run.

Would 5 gallon pots crank out as much yield as a 10 gallon given I have a limited 8x4 grow space?

What size would you recommend?

5 Likes

I use 5 gallon pots outside and the plants get to 5-6 feet tall.

4 Likes

Have u ever dug into how many vegged how many flowering and how much product u can have in the house see we r allowed 12 plants but I wanna say it is only like 10 oz on hand in home unless they upped it now that’s making me no sense. U can grow up to 12 plants but only have 10oz at a time. Um they must have got all these numbers from some dude growing hermies bagseeds or something as I clear 10 oz per plant and usually get 8 plus off of an autoflower. Their numbers don’t match up to me. Lol. Ok well PKG still in my wife’s fricken possession I guess I’ll just have to take them to UPS since that’s right around the corner from me and USPS is so damn far away. Tomorrow for sure and most likely gonna be coming ups not USPS. They need to put a USPS office close to me. It’s like 14 miles away from me in the direction I never travel. Lol.

5 Likes

In Minnesota you can have up to 2 pounds at home and travel with up to 2 ounces for personal.

If I get 10 ounces from each of these plants I will be set for a long time. I still want to grow as much as possible at a time mostly because I want to see how well I can grow. It’s a personal accomplishment kind of thing.

4 Likes

I suppose if I count my sister and I then I can double it to 4 pounds, and 8 in flower 8 in veg. at any given time.

4 Likes

Lol not too too hard to get 10 oz off 1 with a long veg wow i hear ya!

4 Likes

@flannigan

What is considered a long veg?

4 Likes

Over 60 days imo. I usually do 45 to 60 like my current Garden i have youngest plant vegged 42 days and oldest 56 so 6 to 8 weeks 6 plants 4x4 under 1000 watts mh and hps lighting. Currently been 12/12 for 15 days today.

Last grow i only had 2 for 70 days veg but am thinking with the right healthy growing 10 gallon to finish instead of 5 gallon with 60 day veg with 4 plants again a 4x4 with 1000 watts hid

4 Likes

Now if i was using led i will shoot for 640 watts in the same area. Its in my cards.

Im still learning a lot every single dsy and feel like any good gardener will learn daily but i still produce yields lol.

Anyone can but go for quality over yield however i want both lol.

4 Likes

Ok cool then I’m at day 55 right now so maybe I’ll go another week and then flip it.

5 Likes

I don’t know your setup but ill look again as said still learning big time i only have 5 harvest will be in a couple months indoors anyway.

I have a journal here if you want to look but don’t know how to tell you a link.

Good luck @scryptic

4 Likes

Oh you have double my 4x4 good luck

3 Likes

Thanks I will check yours out.

4 Likes

Your welcome and thanks Your welcome to check and i appreciate having you im in Alabama

4 Likes

I just go by sizing the plant to the room and light height. If u have 7 feet between floor and light at max height myself would shoot for 3 to 3.5. Feet tall then flip. If they wanna get too much bigger u can always bow the tall ones down without bending them and not harm the plants production. Here is me now I can raise light more but I havnt moved it in 4 grows why start now. Lol.

This is no training really at all just growing their own ways I just slight defol them

6 Likes