Potency question

I just got a new infuser to help my husband with his fibro - he needs a higher CBD count than any flower we can find so I was wondering what the effect would be if you put 1/2 oz of a 1:1 cannabis plant with 1/2 oz of a high CBD hemp plant. Would it increase the CBD of the butter or would they negate each other.

Thanks
Cyndi Finkenbinder, CPA

@producers

2 Likes

Hypothetically, if you had 1g of flower that was say 10% CBD and 10% THC, and 1g of flower that was 15% CBD and 0%THC, all things being equal, they would blend to make 2g of flower somewhere around 12.5% CBD and 5% THC.

1 Like

This isn’t a cake mix. Lol.
But most importantly, the high CBD will neutralize some of the THC volume. The net effect may be a numerically higher CBD figure but the mix being less effective for the patient.
If you want to try to grow a solution, try Candida from The Seedsman.com. Easy to grow and one of the highest CBD to THC ratios out there.

1 Like

Thank you - unfortunately where we live we can’t grow - there is just no room unless we did it outside but no way to shield it from neighbors. I did put this on my wish list for when we get the room.

Thanks
Cyndi Finkenbinder, CPA

1 Like

That is very helpful - Thank you

Cyndi Finkenbinder, CPA

2 Likes

If you are looking for a desired percentage of either CBD or THC by blending, there is a simple method called a Pearson Square. This is used for mixing livestock feed to a specific percent protein, but works for blending any 2 things to a desired ratio.

a0001cos-1

Instead on using soybean meal and corn’s percent CP (crude protein) you would use Strain A and Strain B with their percent CBD or THC. Place the desired percentage in the middle and simply subtract diagonally, and you get the mixing ratio in parts across the square.

Note that the desired percentage needs to be between the the 2 strains, and you ignore negatives.

Quick example:

You want THC to be exactly 4%.

Strain A is 5.5% CBD and 17% THC

Strain B is 9.2% CBD and 0.7% THC

17% - 4% = 13 parts (grams) Strain B
0.7% - 4% = 3.3 parts (grams) Strain A

So, if you blend 13g of B and 3.3g of A you will have a blend that is 4% THC.

CBD is pretty simple to find after that.
[(A grams * A%CBD] + (B grams * B%CBD)] / (grams A+B)
[(139.2) + (3.35.5)] / (13+3.3) = 8.45% CBD

1 Like

Ok - this is going to take me a little while to wrap my head around but I think I have an idea how to do it now.

Thank you so much

Cyndi Finkenbinder, CPA

2 Likes

I did my best to explain it. :joy:

Here is some additional information from my alma mater.

https://courses.ecampus.oregonstate.edu/ans312/six/ration_4.htm

1 Like