Ppm and ph testing questions

Hello yall! First time grower here trying to understand ph and ppm better. I have a 17 day old in a tent and I’m running into problems with my testing. Today I used the 1:2 soil sample slurry to test ph and ppm. I got a ph of 7.2 and a ppm of 221. My nute water tested at 5.3 and 441ppm. After feeding I pulled runoff samples and tested. I got a ph of 6.3 and 4422ppm. Yes 4422ppm, not a typo!. I checked calibration and retested runoff with the same results… What am I missing?

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @masterlunatik
What is your growing media? Is that soil? Like fox farms? Does it already contain nutrients and you added nutrients? Maybe this is why? No clue because i dont know the media? How can you get that high of a ppm if you slurried it? What is the ppm of the water? Is it R/O water? What nutrients are you usind and how much to a gallon? The plant looks good but those number cant be real. What brand of tester?

4 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

Following this schedule

1 Like

Using R/O water with ph 7 and 8ppm

1 Like

@masterlunatik , welcome to GN. Something sounds wrong with you ppm, its bounced up way to much.

1 Like

This is potting soil made with a cocoa base. It’s loaded with nutrients everything the plants going to need probably until it gets to about flower I would recommend watering with straight water pH at 6.5. Maybe adding a dose of Cal mag once a week. You can probably go about three weeks before you check your runoff again and at that time you wanna start thinking about adding nutrients when your PPM hits about 900 coming out. I don’t grow in soil indoor because of this. A friend of mine uses soil though and this is how he does it with great success. The photo below shows the ingredients.

2 Likes

I would focus on the PH of your water after adding nutrients to be between 6.3 & 6.5. You’ll need PH Up & PH Down to adjust it if you’re currently not using any.

1 Like