Problems with crawling pests in your crops

Wondering how the growers are dealing with crawling pests including spider mites, russet mites, thrips in their grow rooms? Do they have existing problems and/ or found a great solution to the ongoing problem. Would love to hear from you. If you have no problems would love to know your solution. Trying to gather information on this matter. Thanks for your time and look forward to your response.

4 Likes

I am having issues with spider mites again now. I thought I had them licked but apparently if you miss one they will be back! In the past I had good luck with ladybugs but after they go you need to keep adding them or try to get a house for them so they stay. I did try predatory mites but they are so small you have to hope they are working. I got a great tip from Ethan to use a black light in the grow room and you can see them so then it is onto hand to hand combat! I just got a tip from the hydro store to try something and I am doing that now. I will post what it is later but I did try neem oil which works for awhile as well as sm90 but again you have to apply it when you don’t think you have any. I also heard to put DE in the soil which I will do next as well.

4 Likes

Thank you for your response Kevin. I have read and heard from other growers that spider mites are major problem as they can multiple so quickly and do major damage before you realize you have a problem. There is a company located in Portland , Oregon called Emerald Metrics that uses highly specialized camera technology that detects and identifies pests on a minute by minute basis. Not sure the cost I have seen a demonstration of the equipment’s capabilities. I thank you in advance for any updates.

3 Likes

Or you can just implement an IPM program using beneficial insects. We get deliveries every other Thursday at our facility. We also treat the outside of the building several times a year. 4 years with no insect problems and never once have we sprayed anything in the building. Simple, cost effective solution.

5 Likes

Ron thank you for this information. I assume one can search the internet to find companies that provide this service in the area one is growing. I have heard sometimes that these beneficial insects can be carriers of certain unwanted pests. Obviously not in your case as you have been pest free for years.

3 Likes

Check out evergreengrowers.com for a great supplier. I have known the owner since 1993. Great products, great prices.

3 Likes

There are a number of different approaches and approaches should be tailored to the facility and cultural practices. Beneficial bio controls are best used as a preventative approach but some can be used to control hot spots. Using persimilis in times of excessive pest populations will give short term knock down. If you use a certain products which cause chitinolytic activity in the soil, bio controls, and a solid biostimulant program the plant will help keep the numbers at a manageable level. Bio controls need to be checked for viability, placed in the proper areas (sachets or soil applied depending on the target), and timing is crucial (life stages). I know you all know this but sometimes it helps to stand back and reevaluate your cultural practices and see where everything fits or can be adjusted to flow with the entire operation. Something that is often overlooked is the plants natural ability to use phyto hormones and bio responses to reduce insect pressure through the use of known microbial agents. If you want more information on some of my products which may be a fit for you let me know. Sustainability and balance when achieved grows better quality low input product. Ive been on many sides of the spectrum and I am constantly learning, love this plant.

6 Likes