Pruning Plants

People’s thoughts on pruning, when to start, how much and what to prune, and when to stop? Thanks so much :pray:

6 Likes

Here is some info from one of our knowledgeable Cannafam. Hope these help. Im sure many will chime in as well.

7 Likes

defoliation: generally I do 2 “heavy” defoliation one in 4th week of veg and 4th week of flower (strip all fan leaves, ect) Then thru-out your grow remove (prune) leaves that cover budsites - when in week 7 remove all remaining fan leaves. There is a method that one removes excessive amount of leaves called: Schwazzing" It does work !

4 Likes

My husband is a pruning fan, scares me a little to be honest lol. Ive been removing all the bottom leaves that serve no purpose, but ive been wary of doing more. I’m coming up on my 4th week of veg and will probably try defoliating/pruning more than I have. Thanks :blush:

6 Likes

know what you mean after a “heavy” defoliation - plant/s look like shit and by the looks of them one would never think one could get a great yield by def. note- Also many cultivators defoilate 2 days before you flip to 12/12 (this really elimates many fans that will block light no matter what defoliate before you go into flower

4 Likes

Pruning is not a bad thing. As long as u get the plants at the right times it does no harm to them really at all. I plick any that have 2 inch stems or more or if it covers a potential good bud site. On autos I try and wait to do any plucking til I atleast see that the plant is shooting pistils and forms little bites basically. When I see the bites there will be a small stall after the budlets form while the pla t throws down more roots to support the new stuff grown. If u hit an auto then while in the root making period u shouldn’t do any harm and then I do autos one more good defol like 2 weeks before I chop I remove most all fan leaves and let buds ripen up a few days. On photo plants it is different t u can plick leaves thru veg without issues I like to keep the bottom 1/3 and very centers of the plants on the thinner side of leaves as it helps keep the plant from getting molds or mildews with less leaves in the centers but photos in flower if u defol in veg whenever but flower 21 days after flip u should be seeing the budlets form that’s when I tag the photos around days 21 and then day 42ish r defol days for photos so keeping track of when flower started is a plus.

4 Likes